Change in reading of the scale when putting ball in a container of alcohol

MatinSAR
Homework Statement
We have a container in the shape of a cube whose side length is ##10cm##. We pour alcohol with a density of ##0.8g/cm^3## up to a height of ##8cm##. We put the container on the scale and the scale shows the number ##700g##. We remove the container from the scale and put a solid ball with a density of ##6g/cm^3## in the container. Now we put the container on the scale again and the scale shows the number ##2160g##. What is the mass of the bullet?
Relevant Equations
Newton's Laws.
The container and water inside it are at rest.
1697810801437.png

##F_{net,y}=ma_y##
##N - (m_{container}+m_{water})g = 0 ##
##N = (m_{container}+m_{water})g##
##m_{container}+m_{water}=700g##
##m_{container}+\rho_{water} V=700g##
##m_{container}+0.8(10*10*8)=700g##
##m_{container}=60g=0.06kg##

Now we put a ball in container so the number that scale show should change.
The volume of water displaced is equal to the volume of the ball. As a result, the water level should rise to a height of ##0.08+ \dfrac {V_{ball}}{0.1*0.1}##.
##V_{ball}=\dfrac {m_{ball}}{ \rho_{ball}}##

We calculate new pressure:
##P=\rho g h_{new}=800*10* (0.08+ \dfrac {V_{ball}}{0.1*0.1})##

Now we calculate normal force sacle exerts on container:
##N = (m_{container}+m_{ball})g + PA##

But it gave me wrong answer. Can someone guide me where my mistake is?

Physics news on Phys.org
So container + alcohol is 700 g
and container + alcohol + ball is 2160 g ?

:rolleyes:

##\ ##

Likes MatinSAR
BvU said:

##\ ##
You are overlooking something.

Likes BvU and MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
Can someone guide me where my mistake is?
@BvU's hint is a good start, but there's more to it. The next step is to calculate the volume of the ball that it implies.

Likes MatinSAR
BvU said:

##\ ##
As question stated, yes.
haruspex said:
@BvU's hint is a good start, but there's more to it. The next step is to calculate the volume of the ball that it implies.
The ball is completely in alcohol so we consider it's total volume.

MatinSAR said:
The ball is completely in alcohol so we consider it's total volume.
No, you are missing the point.
First, @BvU is hinting at a trivial calculation to find the mass of the ball. But having done that, the next step is to deduce its volume.

Likes MatinSAR
haruspex said:
First, @BvU is hinting at a trivial calculation to find the mass of the ball. But having done that, the next step is to deduce its volume.
Why is the volume needed? The question posed is "What is the mass of the bullet?"

On edit: I now see why the volume of the ball/bullet is needed.

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR
kuruman said:
Why is the volume needed? The question posed is "What is the mass of the bullet?"
Bullet? Ball? Whatever. Unless it absorbs alcohol, the volume matters.

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR and erobz
haruspex said:
Bullet? Ball? Whatever. Unless it absorbs alcohol, the volume matters.
I confirm. They are being sneaky!

Likes MatinSAR
There is a reason they say that the container is not on the scale when they add the ball.

Likes MatinSAR and TSny
There is no bullet. We have a ball in container. it was a mistake in my translation, sorry.
haruspex said:
So it's mass should be 1460g.
$$V=\dfrac {m}{\rho}=\dfrac {1460}{6}=243.33cm^3$$

MatinSAR said:
There is no bullet. We have a ball in container. it was a mistake in my translation, sorry.

So it's mass should be 1460g.
$$V=\dfrac {m}{\rho}=\dfrac {1460}{6}=243.33cm^3$$
Now do you notice something about the volume here?

Likes MatinSAR
erobz said:
Now do you notice something about the volume here?
This way ##43.33cm^3## water should pour out of the container.

MatinSAR said:
This way ##43.33cm^3## should pour out of the container.
Right. So how are you going to find the mass of the ball? Try to write some equations, introducing new unknowns as necessary.

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
This way ##43.33cm^3## should pour out of the container.
Right, its over the volume remaining in the container. So you need to adjust your model to account for some mass of the alcohol spilling out of the container. Also, you don't have to look at pressures like you were before.

Likes MatinSAR
haruspex said:
Right. So how are you going to find the mass of the ball? Try to write some equations, introducing new unknowns as necessary.
erobz said:
Right, its over the volume remaining in the container. So you need to adjust your model to account for some mass of the alcohol spilling out of the container. Also, you don't have to look at pressures like you were before.
$$m_{container}+m_{alcohol}+m_{ball} = 1460g$$
$$60 + 0.8(800-43.33)+m_{ball} = 1460g$$
$$m_{ball} = 794.66g$$

MatinSAR said:
$$m_{container}+m_{alcohol}+m{ball} = 1460g$$
$$60 + 0.8(800-243.33)+m{ball} = 1460g$$
$$m{ball} = 954.66g$$
It's an unknown amount of volume that spills out. You have to calculate it with a new model. Can't use the last one, because it didn't account for any spillage. You were acting as though it all stayed in the container on that one. When you found the volume of the ball is greater than what was left it invalidates the model you used to find its volume.

Likes MatinSAR
erobz said:
It's an unknown amount of volume that spills out. You have to calculate it with a new model. Can't use the last one, because it didn't account for any spillage. You were acting as though it all stayed in the container on that one. When you found the volume of the ball is greater than what was left it invalidates the model you used to find its volume.
I was working on 2 questions at one time. I'm sorry for my huge mistake in last post. I will retry.

Likes erobz
$$m_{container}+m_{alcohol}+m_{ball}=2160$$$$60+0.8(1000-V_{ball})+6V_{ball}=2160$$$$V_{ball}=250cm^3$$$$m_{ball}=\rho_{ball} V_{ball}=1500g$$

Thank you to everyone who has helped me to solve this problem.

Likes nasu, TSny, dlgoff and 1 other person

1. What is the purpose of putting a ball in a container of alcohol to measure the change in reading of the scale?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the effects of density on an object. By placing a ball in a container of alcohol, which has a lower density than water, the ball will appear to weigh less due to the buoyancy force of the alcohol. This change in weight can be measured by observing the change in reading on the scale.

2. How does the density of the alcohol affect the reading of the scale?

The density of the alcohol will cause the scale to show a lower reading due to the buoyancy force acting on the ball. This is because the alcohol has a lower density than water, and therefore exerts a smaller upward force on the ball, making it appear lighter.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of this experiment?

The accuracy of this experiment can be affected by several factors, such as the precision of the scale, the size and shape of the ball, and the temperature and purity of the alcohol. It is important to control these variables in order to obtain accurate and reliable results.

4. How can this experiment be used in real-world applications?

This experiment can be used to understand the concept of density and its effects on objects. It can also be applied in industries such as oil and gas, where the density of liquids is crucial in determining the quality and quantity of a substance. Additionally, it can be used in the development of flotation devices and other buoyancy-related technologies.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when conducting this experiment?

Yes, it is important to handle alcohol with caution and to follow safety guidelines when using the scale. Additionally, proper ventilation should be ensured when working with alcohol. It is also important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to avoid any potential hazards.