Oil volume required to rise the piston

In summary: The error in my initial calculations stemmed from not considering the pressure exerted by the weight of the 1-in layer of oil on the bottom of the cylinder. In summary, the volume of oil needed to raise the piston 1 in from its initial position is 35.74 in^3, taking into account the weight of the piston and the 1-in layer of oil.
Camille

Homework Statement

The piston shown weighs 11 lbf. In its initial position, the piston is restrained from moving to the bottom of the cylinder by means of the metal stop. Assuming there is neither friction nor leakage between piston and cylinder, what volume of oil (S = 0.85) would have to be added to the 1-in. tube to cause the piston to rise 1 in. from its initial position?

piston-and-oil.png

Homework Equations

[itex] p = \frac{dF}{dA} [/itex]

And the basic differential equation of the fluid statics:

[itex] \frac{dp}{dz} = - γ [/itex]

Also the density or the specific weight of the oil is:

[itex] ρ = 1000 \frac{kg}{m^3} \cdot 0.85 = 850 \frac{kg}{m^3} [/itex]

[itex] γ = ρ \cdot g = 8.336 \frac{kN}{m^3} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I have calculated what volume of oil is needed just to keep the piston "a little" above the stop, ie. to hold just the weight of the piston:

[itex] V_{oil p} = \frac{W_p}{A_p} \cdot \frac{A_o}{ρ \cdot g} [/itex] ,

where W_p is the weight of the piston,
A_p is the c-s area of the cylinder
A_o is the c-s area of the tube.

This turns out to be:

[itex] V_{oil p} = 22.39 in^3 [/itex].

Next, I have imagined, that when the piston is 1 in above the orignal level, we have to add even more oil to hold the weight of this 1-in thick layer of oil. This gave me in addition the volume of:

[itex] V_{oil o} = 3.14 in^3 [/itex].

So altogether the total amount of oil needed calculated by me was:

[itex] V_{oil} = 22.39 in^3 + 3.14 in^3 = 25.53 in^3 [/itex].

The answer should be [itex] V_{oil} = 35.7 in^3 [/itex].

I see the hole in my reasoning, because the volume of oil in the 1-in layer has to be taken from somewhere, so it's either the old oil that was in the cylinder or the old + the new oil added. However, I don't know how to solve it.

Any help will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, have you included the additional volume in the large cylinder?
And the 3.14 in^3 volume looks suspect. How did you get that?

Likes 1 person
Do you mean the additional volume of the 1-in layer in the cylinder? Yes. It's weight is:

[itex] W_1 = π \cdot (4 in)^2 \cdot 1 in \cdot ρ \cdot g = 6.87 N [/itex]

Then we have:

[itex] \frac{V_{oil o}}{A_o} = \frac{W_1}{A_p} [/itex]

And solving it I got [itex] V_{oil o} = 3.14 in^3 [/itex]

The volume of a 1" layer in the large cylinder is π(4)2(1)/4 = 4π in3. This is the extra volume that had to be added, over and above the 22.39.

Likes 1 person
Okay, I finally got it right. The first mistake was that 4 in and 1 in are diameters, not radii...

Here's how one can look at it:

solution.png

Now, obviously the "additional" oil that must be poured is the whole blue one, so both on the left and right.

[itex] V_{oil} = V_1 + V_2 [/itex]

We know that, because the oil that is hatched in black has still the same volume as it had in the beginning. Now we calculate the equality of pressures at the line of equal pressures (marked green):

Left = Right

[itex] p_L = p_R [/itex]

[itex] p_L = \frac{W_p + W_{V_1}}{A_L} [/itex]

[itex] p_R = \frac{W_{V_2}}{A_R} [/itex]

[itex] \frac{W_p + W_{V_1}}{A_L} = \frac{W_{V_2}}{A_R} [/itex]

The areas (now correct...):

[itex] A_L = π \cdot (\frac{4in}{2})^2 = 12.57 in^2 [/itex]

[itex] A_R = π \cdot (\frac{1in}{2})^2 = 0.79 in^2 [/itex]

And the volume of the 1-in layer of oil:

[itex] \boxed{V_1 = A_L \cdot 1 in = 12.57 in^3} [/itex]

And the weight of it:

[itex] W_{V_1} = V_1 \cdot ρ \cdot g = 0.39 lbf [/itex]

We calculate the weight of the oil V_2:

[itex] \frac{W_p + W_{V_1}}{A_L} \cdot A_R = W_{V_2} [/itex]

[itex] W_{V_2} = \frac{11 lbf + 0.39 lbf}{12.57 in^2} \cdot 0.79 in^2 = 0.72 lbf [/itex]

So the volume of it is:

[itex] \boxed{V_2 = \frac{W_{V_2}}{ρ \cdot g} = 23.17 in^3} [/itex]

Summing two volumes we get:

[itex] V_{oil} = V_1 + V_2 = 12.57 in^3 + 23.17 in^3 = 35.74 in^3 [/itex]

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the oil volume required to rise the piston?

To calculate the oil volume required to rise the piston, you will need to know the piston diameter, the length of the stroke, and the amount of force needed to lift the piston. You can then use the formula: Volume = (π * (Piston Diameter/2)^2) * Stroke Length * Force. This will give you the required oil volume in cubic inches.

2. Does the type of oil affect the volume required to rise the piston?

Yes, the type of oil used can affect the volume required to rise the piston. Thicker or more viscous oil will require a higher volume to achieve the same result as thinner oil. It is important to consider the specific properties of the oil being used when calculating the required volume.

3. Is there a standard oil volume required for all piston sizes?

No, the oil volume required to rise the piston will vary depending on the size and weight of the piston. A larger and heavier piston will require a larger volume of oil to lift it compared to a smaller and lighter piston.

4. How do I determine the amount of force needed to lift the piston?

The amount of force needed to lift the piston will depend on the weight of the piston and any other additional weight being lifted. You can use the formula: Force = Mass x Acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) to calculate the amount of force needed.

5. Can I use a different fluid other than oil to lift the piston?

Yes, there are other fluids that can be used to lift a piston, such as water or hydraulic fluid. However, the required volume and force calculations may differ for these fluids compared to oil. It is important to consider the specific properties of the fluid being used when calculating the required volume and force.