How to calculate changes in the radius of a surface under compression?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the percentage of changes in radius when the surface causing the radius is compressed by a certain percentage. The question also involves finding the radius when another radius and the changes in the surface are known. The context is likely related to a solid metal cylinder and determining the effects of pressure or load on its radius.
Cianturyo
How do i calculate percentage of changes in radius, when the surface which cause the radius, will be compressed by a certain percentage?

To illustrate better, i have drawn the picture of the question. How to calculate radius ?? if radius A Is known. Changes in the surface is also known. Thank you very much beforehand.
Ciantury

Attachments

• 7401074C-642F-4DDB-B465-455751244A92.jpeg
    7401074C-642F-4DDB-B465-455751244A92.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 541
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Cianturyo said:
How do i calculate percentage of changes in radius, when the surface which cause the radius, will be compressed by a certain percentage?

To illustrate better, i have drawn the picture of the question. How to calculate radius ?? if radius A Is known. Changes in the surface is also known. Thank you very much beforehand.
Ciantury
Welcome to the PF.

Is that a solid metal cylinder? What is causing the change in the radius of the cylinder?

Do you mean "pressure" which would imply uniform load all around the circumference of the cylinder; or, a load applied along two opposite sides of a cylinder?

Related to How to calculate changes in the radius of a surface under compression?

1. How do I calculate the change in radius of a surface under compression?

The change in radius of a surface under compression can be calculated using the formula Δr = r(1 - ε), where Δr is the change in radius, r is the original radius, and ε is the strain or the ratio of change in length to original length.

2. What is the difference between strain and stress?

Strain is a measure of the deformation of a material under stress, while stress is a measure of the force per unit area that is applied to a material. Strain and stress are related to each other through the material's elasticity, which is a measure of how much a material can deform under stress and still return to its original shape.

3. How can I convert strain to a percentage?

To convert strain to a percentage, multiply the strain value by 100. This will give you the percentage change in length or radius of the surface under compression.

4. Can the change in radius be negative under compression?

Yes, the change in radius can be negative under compression. This means that the material has compressed and become shorter in length or smaller in radius compared to its original state.

5. What factors can affect the change in radius of a surface under compression?

The change in radius of a surface under compression can be affected by the material's elasticity, the amount of stress applied, and the direction of the applied force. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the material's compressibility and thus the change in radius.