How to calculate complex dot products

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of (y1.y2)/(y1.y1) using the complex dot product in \mathbb C^n. After some confusion and discussion about the correct notation and definition, it is determined that the answer is -i/2.
BOYLANATOR
let y1=(1,0,i,0) and y2=(0,i,1,0)

what is (y1.y2)/(y1.y1)?

I make it i/(1+i2) = i/0 which seems incorrect.

My notes seem to give the answer as -i/2 and I don't understand how this was calculated.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm.. I get (i/0) as well.

(1*0 + 0*i + i*1 + 0²) / (1² + 0² + i² + 0² ) =

(0 + 0 + i + 0 ) / (1 + 0 -1 +0) =

(y1*y2)/(y1²)= i/0

Does anyone get a different answer?

I suspect the answer is to do with the fact that

<z1,z2>=<(z2)*,z1> where (z2)* is the Hermitian conjugate of z2, but even if this is the case I'm not sure how to carry out the calculation.

It seems to work with y1 = (i,0,i,0), you probably didn't copy it correctly.

BOYLANATOR said:
let y1=(1,0,i,0) and y2=(0,i,1,0)

what is (y1.y2)/(y1.y1)?

I make it i/(1+i2) = i/0 which seems incorrect.

My notes seem to give the answer as -i/2 and I don't understand how this was calculated.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

The usual (euclidean) complex dot product in [itex]\mathbb C^n[/itex] is defined as the sum of the

products of the first vector's coordinates times the conjugate of second vector's coordinates.

In your case, [itex]y_1\cdot y_1 = 1\cdot 1 + 0 + i\cdot (-i) +0=2[/itex] , and this is what must appear in the denominator.

DonAntonio

Thank you DonAntonio
I must have missed this definition. When you apply it to the numerator as well, you get the correct answer -i.
Thanks

BOYLANATOR said:
Thank you DonAntonio
I must have missed this definition. When you apply it to the numerator as well, you get the correct answer -i.
Thanks

No. It is either [itex]y_1\cdot y_2 = i\,\,or\,\,y_2\cdot y_1=-i[/itex]. Check this.

DonAntonio

Yes it was y[2].y[1] = -i . From the Gram-Schmidt Process although I changed the notation slightly.
Thanks

FAQ: How to calculate complex dot products

1. What is a complex dot product?

A complex dot product is a mathematical operation that combines two complex vectors to produce a single complex number. It is similar to a regular dot product, but it takes into account the imaginary components of the vectors.

2. How do you calculate a complex dot product?

To calculate a complex dot product, you need to multiply the corresponding elements of the two vectors and then add them together. For example, if you have two complex vectors, a = 2+3i and b = 4+5i, the complex dot product would be (2+3i)(4+5i) = 8+10i+12i+15i^2 = 8+22i-15 = -7+22i.

3. What is the difference between a complex dot product and a regular dot product?

A regular dot product only takes into account the real components of the vectors, whereas a complex dot product takes into account both the real and imaginary components of the vectors. This allows for a more precise calculation when dealing with complex numbers.

4. Can a complex dot product be negative?

Yes, a complex dot product can be negative. This can happen when the two vectors have opposite directions, resulting in a negative real component in the final complex number.

5. What is the significance of the complex dot product in scientific research?

The complex dot product is used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It allows for a more accurate representation of complex systems and can be used to solve many complex mathematical problems.