How to calculate effective resistance?

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of effective resistance between two points, X and Y, and A and D. The first person suggests a possible solution, while the second person presents their own approach using ohm's law, Kirchhoff's voltage law, and constraints. They also mention using linear algebra to solve for the system. The conversation ends with a clarification request and a summary of the concept of a Wheatstone bridge.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

There are two images:-
Resistance- Calculate effective resistance between X and Y
Resistance1- Calculate effective resistance between A and D

The Attempt at a Solution

Resistance- I don't think any current passes through the 20 ohm resistor so it seems 10 ohm to me. what do you say?

Resistance1- is it right??
10+10+(1/(2/20))
=30 ohm?

Attachments

• Resistance.JPG
    Resistance.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 560
  • Resistance1.JPG
    Resistance1.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can solve these with ordinary resistance reduction, at least it is too complicated for me to try. I used ohm's law, kirchhoffs voltage law and constraints. You know that the if you take any loop that the total voltage is zero, and when all the voltage loops are accounted for you can use linear algebra to solve for the system.

Mindscrape said:
I don't think you can solve these with ordinary resistance reduction, at least it is too complicated for me to try. I used ohm's law, kirchhoffs voltage law and constraints. You know that the if you take any loop that the total voltage is zero, and when all the voltage loops are accounted for you can use linear algebra to solve for the system.

I will be glad if you explain to me what you want to convey...

Its simply a wheatstone bridge redrawn ...

1.apply superposition theroem
2.u will egt current and potential difference across the (upper and lower) ,and the (first and last) resistor are the same .
3 [tex]10 \Omega [/tex]

1. What is effective resistance?

Effective resistance is a measure of the overall resistance in a circuit or system. It takes into account both the individual resistances and their arrangement in the circuit.

2. How is effective resistance calculated in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the effective resistance is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances. This can be calculated by adding all the resistance values together.

3. How is effective resistance calculated in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the effective resistance can be calculated using the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Req is the effective resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances.

4. What is the difference between effective resistance and equivalent resistance?

Effective resistance takes into account the arrangement of resistances in a circuit, while equivalent resistance is a simplified value that represents the total resistance in a circuit. Equivalent resistance is often used to simplify calculations, while effective resistance gives a more accurate measure of the resistance in a circuit.

5. How does temperature affect effective resistance?

Temperature can affect the resistance of a material, therefore it can also affect the effective resistance in a circuit. As temperature increases, the resistance of most materials also increases. This can impact the overall resistance in a circuit, especially in devices that generate heat.