How to calculate force on stationary wall?

• I
  • Thread starter Jehangeer Raza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Wall
In summary, the conversation discusses the method for calculating force applied by a human on a stationary wall. The specifics of the situation, such as body weight, angle of the body, and the coefficient of friction, are mentioned as important factors in determining the force. The conversation also references a study conducted by the military on maximal horizontal push forces, and the potential application of this type of research in the manufacturing of footwear for military and sports purposes.
Jehangeer Raza
What is the right method to calculate force the that is
applied (by human) on the stationy wall?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to be a bit more specific. What is the situation you are analyzing?

Me (Mr.Raza) apply froce on the wall then how i calculate that applied force

Jehangeer Raza said:
Me (Mr.Raza) apply froce on the wall then how i calculate that applied force
Unless there are more details, it doesn't sound like there is sufficient data to calculate the force. After all, I can push a wall with all my might (thanks to friction between my shoes and the floor) or I can just lightly touch the wall.

You might be able to measure the force, given the right equipment.

Likes Jehangeer Raza
For example if my mass is 60kg and co-efficient of friction is .5 then please calculate the force

Jehangeer Raza said:
For example if my mass is 60kg and co-efficient of friction is .5 then please calculate the force
Not enough information.

Please sir give me an example such that i completely understand it.

Let's take a side trip for a moment. It sounds like you want to learn how to solve a certain kind of problem. True? If so, give me an example of the exact problem you are trying to solve.

Likes Nidum
If you are standing up and pressing with one hand on the wall then force can be from nothing up to the limit of the force that you can apply .

The limit on the force that you can apply is set by your strength and by your stability .

Stability relates to how much force you can apply before you start pushing yourself away from the wall .

Jehangeer Raza said:
For example if my mass is 60kg and co-efficient of friction is .5
Then, the reaction is N = mg; N = 600 N (g ≈ 10 m/s2). This is a vertical force.
The friction is Ff = μN; Ff = 300 N. This force is horizontal.

Jehangeer Raza, when you push the wall, is your force horizontal or vertical?

Horizental force

Irene Kaminkowa said:
Then, the reaction is N = mg; N = 600 N (g ≈ 10 m/s2).
This assumes that the force against the wall has no vertical component.

Irene Kaminkowa said:
The friction is Ff = μN; Ff = 300 N. This force is horizontal.
This would be the maximum friction force possible (given the assumption of a purely horizontal push against the wall).

Likes Nidum
Inclination of the body matters in this calculation . Distribution of forces is different depending on whether body is upright , leaning forward or leaning backwards .

You will have seen people trying to move a stalled vehicle by pushing from behind . They intuitively lean forward at quite a steep angle so as to be able to generate maximum pushing force and obtain maximum footing reaction force before slipping .

Jehangeer Raza, let's have a look at the following situation.
Consider a box on a surface with friction. When you try pushing it with different forces, you obtain different results.
Assume, the parameters are the same, m = 60 kg, μ = 0.5 - for the motionless box. I add another value: μm = 0.3 - for the moving box.
Can you tell, what forces act on the box if your horizontal push is 100, 200, 300, 400 N?

The question is interesting and useful. One practical application could be calculating the force exerted on the handrails of footbridges. Given the width of the footbridge and the height of the rail, one could calculate the probable force exerted on the rail by making certain assumptions as to angle of the body and, if desired, any momentum effects. On our footbridge construction I simple took a bathroom scale, held it at railing height and pushed against it. Adding a safety factor of three gave me a stress design factor. That was fifteen years ago and so far no one has tested the rail by falling against it.

Trust the military to know..
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/720252.pdf

"Horizontal Static Forces Exerted By Men Standing In Common Working Positions On Surfaces Of Various Tractions Including Coefficients Of Friction Between Various Floor And Shoe Materials"

K. H. E. Kroemer, et al
Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
January 1971

Abstract

Experiments were conducted to measure maximal isometric horizontal push forces. Twenty-eight male subjects pushed forward with both hands, laterally with the preferred shoulder, and with their backs. Reaction force for body stabilization was provided by a vertical wall, a footrest, or by floor-shoe combinations with coefficients of static friction of approximately 1.0, 0.6, and 0.3. Means, standard deviations, and 5th percentiles of the exerted forces are reported. In comparing the experimental data with results previously published, it is concluded that body weight cannot serve as a reliable predictor for push forte capability from floors of various tractions. Estimates for static horizontal push as well as pull force capabilities of one or several men are tabulated in relation to traction available to the operator. An appendix contains coefficients of static friction between nineteen floor materials and eight shoe materials.

CWatters said:
Trust the military to know
Cool )

I believe, this kind of experiments must be conducted by manufacturers of army/sports footear. To win tenders.

1. What is the formula for calculating force on a stationary wall?

The formula for calculating force on a stationary wall is F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object exerting the force, and a is the acceleration of the object.

2. How do you determine the mass and acceleration in order to calculate force on a stationary wall?

The mass can be determined by measuring the weight of the object in kilograms. The acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

3. Can you calculate the force on a stationary wall without knowing the mass and acceleration?

No, in order to calculate force using the formula F = m x a, both the mass and acceleration must be known.

4. How does the angle of the object's movement affect the force on a stationary wall?

The angle of the object's movement does not directly affect the force on a stationary wall. However, it may affect the mass or acceleration of the object, which in turn would affect the force calculation.

5. Is there a difference between calculating force on a stationary wall and calculating force on a moving wall?

Yes, the formula for calculating force on a moving wall is F = m x (a + g), where g is the gravitational acceleration. This takes into account the added force exerted by gravity on a moving object.