How to Calculate Heat Needed to Convert Ice to Steam at Different Temperatures?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
domyy
Messages
196
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Calculate the amount of heat to be added to warm 150g of ice from -10celsius to produce steam at 110C?

Homework Equations



I believe some relevant equations would be :
Q= mcdeltat
Q= mlf

I also have some values as:

Cice= 0.5 Cal/gcelsius
Lf= 80 Cal/g

C water= 1.0 Cal/gC

Steam= 0.5cal/gC
Lv = 540cal/g

The Attempt at a Solution



My attempt is wrong. I just know the answer, but I want to learn how to get to it. Thank you all in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi domyy! :wink:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:
 
What did is wrong. I tried something simple but there's probably more that I do not know.
I did:

Q = 150g . 0.5 Cal/gC. 100C = 7500

Also tried,

Q= mlf = 150g . 80 Cal/g = 12,000

But I know the answer is 109.5 kcal.
 
domyy said:
What did is wrong. I tried something simple but there's probably more that I do not know.
I did:

Q = 150g . 0.5 Cal/gC. 100C = 7500

Also tried,

Q= mlf = 150g . 80 Cal/g = 12,000

But I know the answer is 109.5 kcal.

sorry, i can't follow that

you seem to have left some things out

can you please write it out properly?
​
 
Q = 150g x 0.5cal/gC x 100C = 7500

C= Celsius

Q = mLf = 150g x 80 Cal/g = 12,000

But it's wrong. The answer is 109.5 kcal. I need to know the formulas or steps I am missing. The problem is more than that. I believe I am supposed to find several values through equations and sum them.