How to Calculate Ideal Gas Temperature Change without Bursting the Vessel

  • Thread starter Thread starter AdkinsJr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas Ideal gas
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
AdkinsJr
Messages
148
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A certain amount of gas at 298.15 K and at a pressure of 0.800 atm is contained in a glass vessel. suppose that the vessel can withstand a pressure of 2.00 atm. How high can you raise the termperature of the gas without bursting the vessel.

Homework Equations



[tex]PV=nRT[/tex]

Since the amount of gas remains constant:

[tex]R=\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Obviously I don't have enough information to fill this in directly. Ideal gas problems are usually very simple, but this one stumped me. I don't see how I can solve for [tex]T_2[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are almost there.
What can you say about the relation between V1 and V2?
 
CompuChip said:
You are almost there.
What can you say about the relation between V1 and V2?

Thanks for your reply. I noticed that they must be equal right? I kind of forgot the basic definition of a gas, lol. The volume must be constant if the gas has filled the container.
 
Yep, it is just pV=const.

Beware:

[tex]R=\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]

This is incorrect. It would be correct for exactly 1 mole of gas.

--
methods
 
No, n is number of moles. It is usually constant throughout the problem if the number of moles of gas doesn't change, but it is not constant as R is.

Ideal gas equation is

PV=nRT

That means

[tex]R = \frac{PV}{nT}[/tex]

or

[tex]nR = \frac{PV}{T}[/tex]

--
methods
 
Borek said:
No, n is number of moles. It is usually constant throughout the problem if the number of moles of gas doesn't change, but it is not constant as R is.

Ideal gas equation is

PV=nRT

That means

[tex]R = \frac{PV}{nT}[/tex]

or

[tex]nR = \frac{PV}{T}[/tex]

--
chemical calculators - buffer calculator, concentration calculator
www.titrations.info - all about titration methods


Yeah, I know that n isn't a natural constant. I meant that it's constant in this particular problem since it doesn't change. The number of moles before and after are equal.

[tex]\frac{V_1P_1}{n_1T_1}=\frac{V_2P_2}{n_2T_2}[/tex]

[tex]n_1=n_2=n[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_1P_1}{nT_1}=\frac{V_2P_2}{nT_2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_1P_1}{T_1}=\frac{V_2P_2}{T_2}[/tex]
 
OK, but still

[tex]R=\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]

is incorrect in general (holds only for one mole of gas). It should be

[tex]nR=\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]

--
 
So in this case, you could continue by writing V1 = V2 = V, so
[tex]\frac{n R}{V} = \frac{P_1}{T_1} = \frac{P_2}{T_2}[/tex]
where you can call the left hand side R', or C, or k (not kB :) ), since it is a constant in the current problem.

You could calculate the constant if you knew n and V and looked up R. However, the equality in that formula which you are interested in, is of course the second one:
[tex]\frac{P_1}{T_1} = \frac{P_2}{T_2}[/tex]
 
Borek said:
OK, but still

[tex]R=\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]

is incorrect in general (holds only for one mole of gas). It should be

[tex]nR=\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]

--
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - buffer calculator, stoichiometry calculator
www.ph-meter.info - ph meter, ph electrode



Oh, ok, I see what you're saying. I wasn't thinking when I wrote [tex]R=\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]. I agree that this is incorrect. I thought that you were claiming that [tex]\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex] was incorrect.

Thanks