How to Calculate Inductance in an R-L Circuit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Ryanyates1988
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Using circuit analysis calculate the inductance (L) within an electrical 50hz AC circuit containing a 12Ω resistor and inductive reactance of 5Ω which are in series.

Homework Equations



Inductive reactance:
XL = 2∏FL

Therefore inductance:
L = XL\2∏F

The Attempt at a Solution



Using my calculator I achieve the following:

L = (XL)\(2)(∏)(F)
L = 5Ω \ (2∏) x (50)
L = 5Ω \ 314.159
L = 0.0159 H
L = 15.9mH

I believe this value is correct.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ryanyates1988 said:
Using circuit analysis calculate the inductance (L) within an electrical 50hz AC circuit containing a 12Ω resistor and inductive reactance of 5Ω which are in series.


Homework Equations



Inductive reactance:
XL = 2∏FL

Therefore inductance:
L = XL\2∏F
Hi Ryanyates1988. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Your "\" is not a recognized engineering maths symbol. Regardless of what your calculator may use, you must express maths statements correctly in all other contexts, and include the necessary parentheses.

Using my calculator I achieve the following:

L = (XL)\(2)(∏)(F)
L = 5Ω \ (2∏) x (50)
L = 5Ω \ 314.159
L = 0.0159 H
L = 15.9mH
I believe this value is correct. ✔ [/size][/color]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nascent,

Thank you for your reply. I will look up the symbols and post on my next questions.

Thanks!