How to calculate or select anti-vibration dampers?

• Thread starter qwerty69
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a standard or book on selecting anti-vibration dampers for overhead lines in distribution systems. The standards reviewed only mention laboratory tests and do not provide information on calculating the number of dampers, selecting the type of damper, and placement. The conversation also mentions the use of frequency calculations to determine the need for dampers, but the speaker is looking for more comprehensive guidance. They ask if there are any handbooks or bibliographic references available for this type of calculation.
qwerty69
Hello everyone. I'm looking for some standard or some book that tells me how to select anti-vibration dampers for overhead lines, especially in distribution systems.

I was reviewing IEE Std664-1993, IEEE 563-1978 and IEC 61897-1998 but these standards only refer to laboratory tests and don't specify the calculation dampers.I would like to know how to calculate the number of dampers, how to select the type of damper (spiral, stockbridge, etc), the damper placement, etc

These dampers will be for a medium voltage overhead line, for long spans. At the moment I only know that the frequency of wind-induced vibration is calculated as: fs=0.0185*V/D; And the natural frequency is calculated: fn=1/(2*L)*√(To*g/Wc). Equating these two frequencies, I can calculate the span from which it is necessary to use damper to avoid resonance. But this is insufficient.

Is there any standard, bulletin or any bibliographic reference of how to do this calculation?

Thank you so much.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to How to calculate or select anti-vibration dampers?

1. What are anti-vibration dampers?

Anti-vibration dampers are devices used to reduce or eliminate vibrations and shock in a system or structure. They are commonly used in industrial or mechanical applications to improve stability, reduce noise, and protect equipment from damage.

2. How do anti-vibration dampers work?

Anti-vibration dampers work by absorbing or dissipating the energy of vibrations and shocks, thereby reducing their effects. This is usually achieved through the use of materials such as rubber, foam, or springs, which are designed to absorb and dampen vibrations.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting anti-vibration dampers?

When selecting anti-vibration dampers, it is important to consider factors such as the type and intensity of vibrations, the weight and size of the equipment, and the operating environment. Different types of dampers may be more suitable for specific applications, so it is important to carefully assess the specific needs of the system.

4. How do I calculate the required size or stiffness of anti-vibration dampers?

The size and stiffness of anti-vibration dampers can be calculated by considering the weight of the equipment, the frequency and amplitude of vibrations, and the desired level of vibration reduction. There are also online calculators and software programs available to assist with these calculations.

5. Are there different types of anti-vibration dampers?

Yes, there are various types of anti-vibration dampers, including rubber mounts, spring mounts, and tuned mass dampers. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications. It is important to select the appropriate type of damper based on the specific needs of the system.