How to calculate rate at which a carpet can absorb liquid?a

  • Thread starter Thread starter Elvis 123456789
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Elvis 123456789
Messages
158
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement


I am trying to figure out how to calculate the rate at which a piece of carpet can absorb a liquid such as water or oil. This is for a real life project. I thought that maybe I could use related rates to solve for the rate of volume increase in the carpet if it was rectangular, but I I'm am not really sure if the volume of the carpet even increases when it absorbs a liquid. I want a solid way to calculate this mathematically but I'm not sure if this is the way?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Elvis 123456789 said:

Homework Statement


I am trying to figure out how to calculate the rate at which a piece of carpet can absorb a liquid such as water or oil. This is for a real life project. I thought that maybe I could use related rates to solve for the rate of volume increase in the carpet if it was rectangular, but I I'm am not really sure if the volume of the carpet even increases when it absorbs a liquid. I want a solid way to calculate this mathematically but I'm not sure if this is the way?
Try to measure change of mass.