How to Calculate Reflection Coefficient for Light at Air to Silver Interface?

In summary, the reflection coefficient for light at an air to silver interface at optical frequencies can be calculated using the ratio of the impedance of free space to the impedance of silver. The reflected intensity is close to 100% for silver, and the absorbed intensity can be calculated using the frequency and conductivity. However, units should not be included in the calculation. Understanding the motion of satellites falls under the basic definition of electromagnetic physics.
drcrabs
How does one calculate the reflection coefficient for light at an air to silver interface at optical frequencies ([tex]\omega = {4 *10^{15} s^{-1}}[/tex])
given

[tex]\mu_{I} = \mu_{T} = \mu_{0} , \sigma = {6 * 10^7 mhom^{-1}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The reflection is close to 100% for silver.
the reflected intensity is I_r=I_0-I_absorbed.
[itex]I_{absorbed}=\sqrt{\omega/8\pi\sigma}I_0[/itex] in Gaussian units.

Would this work?

Knowing the frequency means we can find the wavelength clearly, which has units metres, clearly. When combined with [tex]\sigma = {6 * 10^7 mhom^{-1}}[/tex] to get the impedance of the silver. Then taking the ratio with the impedance of free space and assuming normal incidence

[tex]r =\frac{1 - \beta}{1 + \beta} [/tex]

where [tex]\beta = \frac{\eta_0}{\eta_s} [/tex]

Would this work?

Last edited:
How would you calculate \eta?

eta_s is the impeance of silver. As indicated previously a value with ohm units can be achieved by combining wavelength with the value of conductivity. What I am asking is, is this a valid statement?

No. Units are not a calculation.

i want to know about the motion of the stelites totely

basic defination of electromagnatic physics

Related to How to Calculate Reflection Coefficient for Light at Air to Silver Interface?

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. It explains how these fields interact and influence each other.

What are the main principles of electromagnetism?

The main principles of electromagnetism are the laws of electricity and magnetism, which include Coulomb's law, Gauss's law, Faraday's law, and Ampere's law. These laws describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and how they interact with each other.

What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coiled wire. The magnetic field produced by the current can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electric current, making electromagnets a useful tool in various applications such as motors, speakers, and generators.

What is the difference between direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC)?

DC is a type of electric current that flows in one direction, while AC is a type of electric current that periodically reverses its direction. DC is typically used in batteries and smaller electronic devices, while AC is used in power grids and larger electrical systems.

How is electromagnetism used in everyday life?

Electromagnetism has a wide range of applications in everyday life, including the generation and transmission of electricity, communication systems such as radios and cell phones, medical imaging technologies like MRI machines, and various household appliances such as refrigerators and washing machines.