Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate resistance between two electrodes filled with water

1. Dec 7, 2006 #1
    Hello ,

Can someone from this group help me ,how to calculate resistance between two electrodes filled with water with a known conductivity solution.

In my case I have two experimental conditions. First there are two rectangular plates seperated with a gap of 30 mm.

In second case this is a cylindrical geometry Innner electrode dia is 10 mm. And outer electrode dia is 50 mm. In between water is filled with a conductivity of 500µ cm/cm.

If some one can answer atleast for one case it will be useful for me.

regards

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

For the rectangular case, the resistance is

[tex]R = \frac{\rho L}{A}[/tex]

Where A is the crossectional area, and the resistivity is [tex]\rho[/tex]

The calculation is similar for the cylindrical geometry, but you need to set up an integral to do it over small volume elements that approximate the rectangular situation.

4. Dec 7, 2006 #3

berkeman

5. Dec 7, 2006 #4
    How I can put the value in place of resistivity

Thanks for your prompt reply

How I can put the value in place of resistivity in above fourmula

6. Dec 7, 2006 #5

berkeman

You said you knew the conductivity of the solution. Probably conductivity and resistivity are just inverses, but check the units to be sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?