Resistance Between Two Rectangular Electrodes

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate resistance between two submerged rectangular copper plates. The equation for resistance is R = (ρ*L)/A, where A is the cross sectional area of the conducting path. The question arises whether A represents the area of one plate or both plates combined. It is clarified that A represents the total area of both plates. A derivation of the formula is requested for further understanding. The expert summarizes that the resistivity ρ is the proportionality constant in the relation R∝L/A and can be found in any college level physics book. It is also noted that the formula only applies if the water is confined to a rectangular cross section tube between the electrodes. In the non-confined case, advanced techniques
Vne147
Hello everyone. I have what is probably a relatively simple question. I'm trying to calculate the resistance between two rectangular copper plates submerged in water. I found this thread that briefly discusses it:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ween-two-electrodes-filled-with-water.147144/

The equation:

R = (ρ*L)/A

seems pretty straight forward but I have a question about the area, A. Is the area in the equation the area of a single copper plate, or the sum of both plates?

For instance, if I have two parallel rectangular copper plates each with a surface area facing the other of 1 in2, should I use 1 in2, or 2 in2 in the equation? I'm thinking I should just use 1 in2 but I'm not sure.

Perhaps if someone can share or point me to a derivation of the formula, that would clarify things.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vne147 said:
I'm thinking I should just use 1 in2
Yes, provided it is same everywhere along the conducting path. It is the cross sectional area of the conducting path.

cnh1995 said:
Yes, provided it is same everywhere along the conducting path. It is the cross sectional area of the conducting path.

Thank you sir. That was my hunch. Just to satisfy my curiosity though, do you know where I can find a derivation?

Vne147 said:
Thank you sir. That was my hunch. Just to satisfy my curiosity though, do you know where I can find a derivation?
Resistance of a conductor is directly proportional to the length of the conductor and inversely proportional to its cross sectional area. These are experimentally observed facts (and are intuitive). So, resistivity ρ is simply the proportioality constant in the relation R∝L/A.
You can find this stuff in any college level physics book.

Understood. Thanks.

The formula R∝L/A only applies if the water is confined to a rectangular cross section tube between the electrodes, the cross section of the tube being the same as the dimensions of the electrodes.

Otherwise, the current in the water will expand outward into a much larger volume of water than would be the case if the water were in the described tube.

In the non-confined case you will need to use advanced techniques to calculate the resistance.

See: http://www.bru.hlphys.jku.at/conf_map/index.html

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of difficulty for electric current to flow through a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is dependent on factors such as the material's conductivity, cross-sectional area, and length.

How is resistance calculated?

The resistance between two rectangular electrodes can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). This can be represented by the equation R = V/I.

What factors affect the resistance between two rectangular electrodes?

The resistance between two rectangular electrodes is affected by the distance between the electrodes, the material of the electrodes, and the material between the electrodes. Other factors include the temperature of the material and the surface area of the electrodes.

How can the resistance between two rectangular electrodes be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce the resistance between two rectangular electrodes. One way is to decrease the distance between the electrodes, as this will decrease the path the electric current has to travel. Another way is to use materials with higher conductivity, such as copper, to reduce the resistance.

Why is understanding resistance between two rectangular electrodes important?

Understanding the resistance between two rectangular electrodes is important in various fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and material science. It is crucial in designing and optimizing electric circuits and devices, as well as in studying the properties of different materials. Knowledge of resistance also helps in troubleshooting and preventing electrical failures.