How to calculate speed voltage from Maxwell's laws

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "speed voltage" in classical induction machine analysis and how it can be derived from Maxwell's equations. The term "speed voltage" is defined as the second term in the equation \frac{de}{dx}=\frac{db}{dt} + v\frac{db}{dx} and is related to the transformer voltage. The speaker is seeking to understand how this can be obtained from Maxwell's laws and mentions the possibility of reference frames playing a role.
darkfeffy
Hi,

In classical induction machine analysis, the induced voltage (or curl of the electric field) is equal to the time rate of change of the magnetic field (B) plus the 'speed voltage'. This is understood very easily from electrical circuit models of the machine.

However, going purely from Maxwell's equations (1. div(E) = rho/epsilon; 2. div(B) = 0; 3. curl(E) = -dB/dt; 4. Curl(B) = mu(J + epsilon*dE/dt) ) how can one arrive at the same observation as above?

Thanks
e.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is "speed voltage"? I don't remember ever seeing that term before, in American English. Perhaps there is a language-translation problem?

Hi Jtbell,
Thanks for your response. I was reading a book on linear induction motors, and therein it was written:

[itex]\frac{de}{dx}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{db}{dt}[/itex] + v[itex]\frac{db}{dx}[/itex]

The first term is referred to as a transformer voltage, and the second, a speed voltage. I want to know how to get this from Maxwell's laws. I recently read something about reference frames; I think my answer lies in that direction.

Best
e.

1. How do Maxwell's laws relate to speed voltage?

Maxwell's laws are a set of equations that describe the relationship between electricity and magnetism. One of these laws, known as Faraday's law, states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric field. This electric field can then cause a flow of electrons, or a current, which is what we refer to as speed voltage.

2. What is the equation for calculating speed voltage using Maxwell's laws?

The equation for calculating speed voltage using Maxwell's laws is V = -N(dΦ/dt), where V is the speed voltage, N is the number of turns in the wire, and (dΦ/dt) represents the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the wire.

3. How is speed voltage measured using Maxwell's laws?

Speed voltage can be measured using a device called an oscilloscope. The oscilloscope measures the voltage produced in the wire due to the changing magnetic field and displays it as a graph. The amplitude of this graph represents the speed voltage.

4. Can Maxwell's laws be used to calculate speed voltage in any situation?

Maxwell's laws can be used to calculate speed voltage in most situations where there is a changing magnetic field. However, the shape and orientation of the wire, as well as the strength and direction of the magnetic field, can affect the accuracy of the calculation.

5. How is speed voltage affected by the properties of the wire and the magnetic field?

The speed voltage produced by Maxwell's laws is directly proportional to the number of turns in the wire and the rate of change of the magnetic flux. It is also affected by the resistance and inductance of the wire, as well as the strength and direction of the magnetic field.