Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate speed voltage from Maxwell's laws

1. Oct 11, 2013 #1
    Hi,

In classical induction machine analysis, the induced voltage (or curl of the electric field) is equal to the time rate of change of the magnetic field (B) plus the 'speed voltage'. This is understood very easily from electrical circuit models of the machine.

However, going purely from Maxwell's equations (1. div(E) = rho/epsilon; 2. div(B) = 0; 3. curl(E) = -dB/dt; 4. Curl(B) = mu(J + epsilon*dE/dt) ) how can one arrive at the same observation as above?

Thanks
    e.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What is "speed voltage"? I don't remember ever seeing that term before, in American English. Perhaps there is a language-translation problem?

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3
    Hi Jtbell,
    Thanks for your response. I was reading a book on linear induction motors, and therein it was written:

[itex]\frac{de}{dx}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{db}{dt}[/itex] + v[itex]\frac{db}{dx}[/itex]

The first term is referred to as a transformer voltage, and the second, a speed voltage. I want to know how to get this from Maxwell's laws. I recently read something about reference frames; I think my answer lies in that direction.

Best
    e.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook