How to calculate the energy of an arbitrary pulse

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the energy of a pulse, specifically through integrating voltage and current. There is also a mention of calculating average power for arbitrary AC and using squared paper for integration. The question of whether a pure sine wave would have zero energy if integrated is also raised. The conclusion is that the average of voltage and current may be zero, but the average of their product is not. There is also a mention of asking a separate question about integrating Rogowski coil output.
Abimbola1987
Dear Sirs,

I need to calculate the energy of the below pulse, as I'm new to dealing with AC I have some doubts on how to calculate it? I think I remember that in order to obtain energy one has to integrate the power, but I'm not sure.

Also I'm not sure how to deal with the calculation of average power as it is arbitrary AC?

results.png

ps. the power trace is calculated not measured.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• results.png
    results.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 597
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, just integrate voltage times current.

But you may want just the DC component, or the average AC at the fundamental frequency. If so, you must be more specific.

Last edited:
Likes Abimbola1987 and sophiecentaur
+1

It's the same as it would be for a sin wave AC, it's just that the integral (area under the curve) is easier to work out for a sin wave.

If really stuck with the integral you can even use squared paper to work it out!

Likes sophiecentaur
Dear anorlunda and CWatters,

Thank you very much for your reply. I do have the data for the wave forms so I have written a small Python script to do the numerical integration.

For the purpose of my understanding; if the wave had a pure sine and you did numerical integration on that, it would equal zero as the negative areas would cancel out the positive, which would imply that the energy is zero? I which case my logic would dictate that the wave had to be offset in some way or have to be calculated with absolute values of y? The same conceptual pondering goes for average power, power is still power even if it's negative?

Yes the absolute value. Aka rectification.

Likes Abimbola1987
Dear CWatters,

Thank you very much for clearing my uncertainty.

I wish you all the best.
Abimbola

Abimbola1987 said:
For the purpose of my understanding; if the wave had a pure sine and you did numerical integration on that, it would equal zero as the negative areas would cancel out the positive,

Which wave?

If V and I are both sin waves and in-phase with each other, then when they are +, V*I is +. When they are both -, V*I is + again. So the average of V is zero, the average of I is zero but the average of V*I is not zero.

anorlunda said:
Which wave?

I meant an imaginary sine wave e.g. the voltage of 220V AC

anorlunda said:
If V and I are both sin waves and in-phase with each other, then when they are +, V*I is +. When they are both -, V*I is + again. So the average of V is zero, the average of I is zero but the average of V*I is not zero.

Yes, I appreciate that, it seems logical.

Now that I have your attention, could I ask another question regarding integration of Rogowski coil output? Or should I create another post?

Abimbola1987 said:
Now that I have your attention, could I ask another question regarding integration of Rogowski coil output? Or should I create another post?

A new thread would be better.

1. How do I calculate the energy of an arbitrary pulse using its amplitude?

To calculate the energy of an arbitrary pulse using its amplitude, you can use the formula E = 0.5*A^2*T, where E is the energy, A is the amplitude, and T is the time period of the pulse. This formula assumes that the pulse is periodic and has a sinusoidal shape.

2. Can I calculate the energy of a non-periodic pulse?

Yes, you can calculate the energy of a non-periodic pulse by using the formula E = ∫ f(x)^2 dx, where E is the energy and f(x) is the function describing the pulse. This formula calculates the area under the curve of the pulse, which represents its energy.

3. What is the unit of energy for an arbitrary pulse?

The unit of energy for an arbitrary pulse is Joules (J), which is a standard unit of energy in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Is there a specific method for calculating the energy of a pulse with a non-sinusoidal shape?

Yes, for pulses with non-sinusoidal shapes, you can use numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule to approximate the area under the curve and calculate the energy.

5. Can I calculate the energy of an arbitrary pulse without knowing its amplitude or time period?

No, it is not possible to calculate the energy of an arbitrary pulse without knowing its amplitude and time period. These two parameters are essential in determining the energy of a pulse.