How to find thickness of steel plate

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the required thickness of a steel plate that will cover a 300 mm diameter hole in the ground, to safely support a machine weighing 2.5 tonnes without any bending. The machine in question is a Brokk with tracks and a point load distribution is assumed for the worst case scenario. Suggestions are made to consult Machinery's Handbook for calculating diaphragm deflections and choosing a plate thickness that meets the desired deflection.
Ron1808
I have a 300 mm diameter hole in the ground surrounded by concrete. This hole will be covered by a steel plate. I need to get a machine of weight 2.5 tonnes across this hole safely without any bending of the steel plate.
How would i calculate the required thickness of the plate?
Thank you
Ron.

Attachments

• SKMBT_C652D15011517220.pdf
    103.6 KB · Views: 550
Engineering news on Phys.org
The machine is on a skid? Rollers? Wheels? Casters? How is the load distributed?

It is a brokk, so it will be tracks. As the brokk may carry stones etc, I am assuming a point load distribution for worst case scenairo.
Thank you

A Brokk. Down a one foot hole? You've got a copy of Machinery's Handbook handy? Look at diaphragm deflections in the strength of materials section. Pick what deflection you can live with and back out the plate thickness.

I don't have the handbook with me but i will have a look at it later when i go home. But thank you for your help and advice. :)

1. What equipment do I need to measure the thickness of a steel plate?

To accurately measure the thickness of a steel plate, you will need a measuring tool such as a caliper or micrometer. A ruler or tape measure can also be used, but may not provide as precise of a measurement.

2. How do I determine the thickness of a steel plate?

To determine the thickness of a steel plate, place it on a flat surface and use your measuring tool to measure the distance between the top and bottom surfaces of the plate. Make sure to measure at multiple points along the plate to account for any variations in thickness.

3. What is the unit of measurement for steel plate thickness?

The most common unit of measurement for steel plate thickness is millimeters (mm). However, it can also be measured in inches (in) or centimeters (cm).

4. Can I estimate the thickness of a steel plate without a measuring tool?

Yes, it is possible to estimate the thickness of a steel plate without a measuring tool. You can use a known object with a similar thickness, such as a coin or a piece of paper, to compare and estimate the thickness of the steel plate.

5. Is there a standard thickness for steel plates?

No, there is not a standard thickness for steel plates as it can vary depending on the type of steel and its intended use. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's specifications or consult with a professional to determine the appropriate thickness for your specific application.