1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find thickness of steel plate

1. Jan 19, 2015 #1
    I have a 300 mm diameter hole in the ground surrounded by concrete. This hole will be covered by a steel plate. I need to get a machine of weight 2.5 tonnes across this hole safely without any bending of the steel plate.
    How would i calculate the required thickness of the plate?
    Thank you
    Ron.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The machine is on a skid? Rollers? Wheels? Casters? How is the load distributed?

4. Jan 19, 2015 #3
    It is a brokk, so it will be tracks. As the brokk may carry stones etc, im assuming a point load distribution for worst case scenairo.
    Thank you

5. Jan 19, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A Brokk. Down a one foot hole? You've got a copy of Machinery's Handbook handy? Look at diaphragm deflections in the strength of materials section. Pick what deflection you can live with and back out the plate thickness.

6. Jan 19, 2015 #5
    I dont have the handbook with me but i will have a look at it later when i go home. But thank you for your help and advice. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook