How to calculate this integral?

• Thread starter Robin04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Also, the bounds are ##\theta_0 \leq \theta \leq \theta_1##, where ##\theta_0## and ##\theta_1## are any two values such that ##0\leq \theta_0 \leq \theta_1\leq 2\pi##.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a given integral and the attempt to rewrite it in a different form. The solution involves using the formula for cosine of double angle and simplifying the expression to show that the two forms of the integral are equivalent. The conversation also mentions the constraints on the bounds of the integral.
Robin04

Homework Statement

I have a problem with this integral:
##\int_{x_0}^x \frac{dx}{\sqrt{2-2\cos{x}}}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I came across this while reading a book and the author says that this can be written in the form ##\int_{x_0}^x \frac{dx}{2\sin{\frac{x}{2}}}##. I don't see how this can be achieved. What identity is used here for the trigonometric functions? Or this is an integral trick?

Physics news on Phys.org
Badly typeset book (what book ?) this seems to me. Or did you make an error copying the equations ? Numerator is non-negative in 1. and not in 3.

Trig function to look at is formula for cosine of double angle

BvU said:
Badly typeset book (what book ?) this seems to me. Or did you make an error copying the equations ? Numerator is non-negative in 1. and not in 3.

Trig function to look at is formula for cosine of double angle
It's a book called Solitons and Instantons by R. Rajaraman. Page 36-37, eq. (2.71), you can download it here: <link redacted>
Moderator's note: do not post links to resources that violate copyright.

Last edited by a moderator:
So post the correct expressions using ##\LaTeX##

Did you understand the double angle hint ?

BvU said:
So post the correct expressions using LATEX
This is the correct expression as written in the book.

BvU said:
Did you understand the double angle hint ?
Yes, but if I understand well these two expressions are not equivalent, so there's not much I can do here with it.

Robin04 said:
but if I understand well these two expressions are not equivalent, so there's not much I can do here with it.
Wrong. Write it out and post.

$$
\sin^2 x = \frac{1}{2} ( 1 - \cos 2x)
$$

Likes Robin04
$$\cos 2\alpha = \cos^2 \alpha - \sin^2\alpha=1-2\sin^2\alpha \quad\Rightarrow\quad 1-\cos x = 2\,\sin^2{x\over 2}$$ meaning $$
{1\over \sqrt{2-2\cos x} } = {1\over \sqrt{4\sin^2 {x\over 2} }} = {1\over 2\left | \sin {x\over 2}\right | } $$ So, depending on the constraints on the bounds (any described?), the book may be right.

Likes Robin04
It's not as hard as I thought. Thank you for your help!

BvU said:
So, depending on the constraints on the bounds (any described?), the book may be right.
Actually, there's a ##\pm## in front of the integral in the book, so the absolute value doesn't change much on that.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the total value or quantity of a changing quantity over a given interval.

Why do we need to calculate integrals?

Integrals are important in many fields of science and engineering, as they allow us to find the total value or quantity of a changing quantity over a given interval. They are also used to solve differential equations, which are fundamental in understanding many natural phenomena.

What is the process for calculating an integral?

The process for calculating an integral involves finding the antiderivative of a function, which is the function that when differentiated, gives the original function. This antiderivative is then evaluated at the upper and lower limits of the integral to find the total value or quantity.

What are the different methods for calculating integrals?

There are several methods for calculating integrals, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Each method has its own advantages and is useful for different types of integrals.

How can I check if my calculated integral is correct?

One way to check the correctness of your calculated integral is to use a graphing calculator or software to graph the original function and the antiderivative. The area between the two curves should be equal to the value of the integral. You can also use numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to estimate the value of the integral and compare it to your calculated result.