How to calculate Torque for motor?

In summary, the person is creating a self-balancing skateboard using two 24v motors and needs to know if they will be able to move the wheels, which have a radius of 5.66 inches. The total weight of the skateboard with a person on it is 93kg. They are asking for advice on how to calculate the torque needed for the motor to move the wheels. They provide a video for reference and mention that the torque needed will depend on factors such as balancing, acceleration, and angular acceleration.
zaki4484
Hi,
I am doing a self-balancing skateboard. It uses two 24v motor to move two wheels.
I need to know if my motor will be able to move the wheels.

Given that,
wheel of 5.66 inches.
The total weight of the skateboard = 13kg.
Assume human mass = 80kg.
Total weight with human mass = 93kg.

How to know the torque to move each wheel?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you provide a sketch of the setup? Something similar to a segway?
Where do you expect torque? If I understand your setup correctly, it depends on the maximal imbalance you get.

In any way, you can estimate the order of magnitude (but not a precise value) with (wheel radius)*(mass)*(gravitational acceleration).

Almost similar to segway only that this project uses hand controller.

I don't have sketch of the setup. But if you look at this video , I think you can see the setup of the motor to the wheel.

I only need to know how much torque is needed for the motor to move the wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see three reasons to need torque:
- balancing. Depends on the quality of your balancing. Better (quicker, finer) -> less torque
- acceleration. Accelerating 93kg with 1m/s^2 needs 93N, for example, divide that by your wheel radius to get torque for both wheels together.
- angular acceleration. I would expect that this is negligible.

1. What is torque and why is it important for motors?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force or the ability of a force to cause an object to rotate. In the context of motors, torque is the force that causes the motor to rotate and enables it to perform work. It is an important factor in determining the power and efficiency of a motor.

2. How do you calculate torque for a motor?

To calculate torque for a motor, you need to know the force applied to the motor and the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance. The unit for torque is Newton-meter (Nm).

3. What factors affect the torque of a motor?

The torque of a motor is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the wire, the size of the motor, and the amount of current flowing through the motor. Additionally, the type of motor, such as DC or AC, can also affect the torque.

4. How can you increase the torque of a motor?

There are several ways to increase the torque of a motor. One way is to increase the current flowing through the motor. Another way is to increase the number of turns in the wire of the motor. Additionally, using permanent magnets with stronger magnetic fields or increasing the size of the motor can also increase the torque.

5. How does torque impact the performance of a motor?

Torque plays a crucial role in the performance of a motor. The amount of torque a motor can produce determines its ability to rotate and perform work. A higher torque means the motor can handle heavier loads and operate at higher speeds. Therefore, a motor with a higher torque will generally have better performance compared to a motor with lower torque.