How to calculate vertical electron deflection between two charged plates?

In summary, the problem involves an election moving through two charged plates in a vertical electric field. The electron's initial horizontal velocity and distance traveled are given, and the problem asks for the charge density, vertical deflection, and vertical component of the final velocity. The equation E=sigma/2*epsilon 0 is used to calculate the charge density, but the method for calculating the vertical deflection is unclear. It is suggested that the problem can be approached as a uniform acceleration problem, similar to trajectory problems on Earth's surface.
Molly

Homework Statement

In the problem, an election is moving though 2 charged plates
vertical electric field amount is given and its perpendicular to the electron’s original horizontal velocity. The initial speed of the electron is given and the horizontal distance it travels is given. Then it asks for the charge density, the vertical deflection, and the vertical component of Vf.

Homework Equations

E=sigma/ 2* epsilon 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

So i think I got the charge density correct, hopefully. I used the above equation to calculate sigma. What I am stuck on is how do I calculate vertical deflection? I feel like this is something really stupid to be confused about, but I don't know how to start it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Molly said:
how do I calculate vertical deflection?
It's a uniform field so produces constant acceleration, just like in Earth's surface trajectory problems.
Does that help?

1. How do I calculate the vertical electron deflection between two charged plates?

To calculate the vertical electron deflection between two charged plates, you will need to know the magnitude of the electric field between the plates, the charge of the electron, and the distance between the plates. You can then use the equation F = qE, where F is the force on the electron, q is the charge of the electron, and E is the electric field. Once you have the force, you can use Newton's second law (F = ma) to calculate the acceleration of the electron. Finally, you can use the equations of motion to determine the vertical deflection of the electron.

2. What is the formula for calculating the electric field between two charged plates?

The formula for calculating the electric field between two charged plates is E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. This assumes that the plates are parallel and the electric field is uniform between them.

3. How does the distance between the plates affect the vertical electron deflection?

The distance between the plates directly affects the strength of the electric field between them. As the distance increases, the electric field decreases, resulting in a smaller force on the electron and less deflection. Therefore, the greater the distance between the plates, the smaller the vertical electron deflection will be.

4. Can the vertical electron deflection be negative?

Yes, the vertical electron deflection can be negative. This means that the electron is deflected downwards, towards the negative plate. The sign of the deflection depends on the direction of the electric field and the charge of the electron.

5. How does the charge of the electron affect the vertical deflection?

The charge of the electron does not directly affect the vertical deflection. However, it is a factor in the calculation of the force on the electron, which in turn affects the deflection. The greater the charge of the electron, the greater the force and therefore the greater the deflection.