1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to change careers with finance problems?

1. May 2, 2015 #1
    I have to admit i am inspired by the number of people posting about changing careers but my question is how does one change careers when the first one has destroyed them financially?

In short I would like to pursue something like this but the idea is impossible. My credit is destroyed, I took the loan repayment instead of the GI bill and am working just enough to keep our heads above water.

So if anyone might have a suggestion, I would be greatly grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's a good question, and often one that there are not a lot of good answers to. If you're in debt, you're in debt. A lot can depend on the details, but in most cases you're expected to pay it back and the people/program you owe the money too are often not all that forgiving if you haven't found your true calling and want to explore other options.

That said, there are always options. One idea might be to start small. Take a night school class or two to see if the new field is something you're really into before diving head first into another potential mistake. Another option it to introduce intermediate step. It there some way that over the next year or two you could put yourself in a better position financially? Concentrate on paying down your loan and maybe building up a financial cushion. Then begin the re-tooling process.

4. May 2, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured but thought it could hurt to ask. Yes we are working on the rest of the debt, funds, and our credit, but at 40 were focusing on trying to have some sort of retirement since my wife is 56 and her legs are getting bad. Just wondered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook