1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to check Fourier series solution (complex)

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the complex Fourier series for:

[tex]f(t)=t(1-t), 0<t<1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]f(t)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}c_n{e^{i\omega_n{t}}}[/tex]

[tex]c_n=\frac{1}{\tau}\int_{t_0}^{t_0+\tau}e^{-i\omega_n{t}}f(t)dt[/tex]

[tex]\omega_n=2\pi{n}\quad\tau=1[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for c_n. I want to check my answer. I can only think of checking it by graphing it out to a few (50 or so) terms. I tried to graph this in Maple with my value for c_n and it couldn't do it. After that, I tried to solve the entire problem in Maple and that also did not work.

I have a few more of these to do, and I'd like to make sure I am doing this correctly before I move on. Does anyone know how to check my value for the coefficient?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do your coefficients depend on your choice of [itex]t_0[/itex]? Because the relevant equations you posted are not correct.

4. Apr 7, 2010 #3
    I found the coefficients, c_n, by integrating:

[tex]c_n=\int_{0}^{1}t(1-t)e^{-i2\pi{n}t}dt[/tex]

Are you saying that this is not the correct method to find c_n?

5. Apr 7, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it isn't.

The Fourier coefficients are given by

[tex]c_n=\int_{-\frac{1}{2}}^{\frac{1}{2}}f(2\pi t)e^{-i\omega_n t}dt=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(t)e^{-int}dt[/tex]

which is not equivalent to what you've posted. Where did you find that incorrect equation for the coefficients?

6. Apr 7, 2010 #5
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'll recalculate my coefficient value later today.

My tutorial lists the equation for c_n as:

[tex]c_n=\frac{1}{\lambda}\int_{x_0}^{x_0+\lambda}e^{-i{k_n}x}f(x)dx[/tex]

In a paragraph above this equation, it states that:

"...But most applications involve either functions of position or of time. In the former case, the period of the function, [tex]\lambda[/tex], is more conventionally called the wavelength, and [tex]k_n=\frac{2\pi{n}}{\lambda}[/tex] is the wave number for the n'th mode. If time is the variable, however, the period is called, indeed, the period, and is usually represented by [tex]\tau[/tex]. The n'th mode has the angular frequency, or often simply the frequency, [tex]\omega_n=\frac{2\pi{n}}{\tau}[/tex]."

It did not explicitly give the equation for c_n in this case. I must have made a mistake converting from a spatial to time variable.

7. Apr 7, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Those expressions are for a function with period 2π. If you rescale for a function with period τ and allow for a shift (since it really doesn't matter which particular cycle you integrate over), you get PhysicsMark's integral.

8. Apr 7, 2010 #7
    Thanks for the clarification, Vela. I spoke with my professor today, and he also said the original integral should be correct.

He went on to say that I should be able to plot it in Maple. So, I guess that means I need some more practice in Maple (That should be no surprise to Vela...https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=391887).

Thanks to Vela and Gabbagabbahey for replying.

9. Apr 7, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In case you want to check your answer, here's what I found for cn for [itex]n\ne 0[/itex]:

[tex]c_n=-\frac{1}{2n^2\pi^2}[/tex]

When you plot the series, you should only need to use a handful of terms -- 50 would be overkill -- to see if it's summing to what you expect. Just remember to match the negative n's with positive n's so that the sum is real.

10. Apr 7, 2010 #9
    Thanks a lot! That is also the answer I got.

I realized why maple wouldn't plot it, it was because I did not account for the "n" in the denominator. No wonder Maple was blabbering about a singularity.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook