How to check if stellar/galactic spectrum extraction went well?

In summary, the speaker is asking for ideas on how to determine if their spectrum extractions in IRAF were successful. They are unsure how to evaluate their finished projects and offer to share images for feedback. The conversation then delves into discussing the definition of a successful extraction and suggests comparing results to published data. The speaker also mentions using standard star data from IRAF as a comparison.
SMBH
I've been doing some spectrum extractions in IRAF, stellar and galactic, and I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas on how to tell if the extraction/calibration/etc went well? I have a bunch of finished projects but I'm not sure about how to tell if they're any good or not. Let me know if anyone has any ideas. I could also post some images of the spectra themselves if that might help.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What constitutes "well'? Studies usually apply a standard of observed vs predicted measurement of some or another 'key' variables in a model of interest. If the model produces predictions that match observation to a particular level of statistical confidence, the model is deemed valid to that level of confidence. If not, it is considered either incomplete or just plain wrong. Of course, one can make an entire career [and living] out of trumpeting statistically anomalous data as 'proof' of some hare-brained idea. This forms the basis for using Bayesian statistics as a measure of credibility. Then again, it is possible to misapply Bayesian statistics: giving rise to the adage "figures don't lie, but, liars figure."

SMBH said:
I've been doing some spectrum extractions in IRAF, stellar and galactic, and I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas on how to tell if the extraction/calibration/etc went well? I have a bunch of finished projects but I'm not sure about how to tell if they're any good or not. Let me know if anyone has any ideas. I could also post some images of the spectra themselves if that might help.
I'm not sure what you accept a priori as "well". For instance, do you accept manual extraction, but not necessarily anything automated (until proven reliable)? In that case, have you compared your automated results to a manual extraction -
  1. on some small but very random sample on the statistical universe of your data; and
  2. on some small, very well focused subset that you feel you understand deeply -- something of a calibration set?
If so, what did the comparisons show?

I assume your concern is about how well you have done the extraction, wavelength calibration and instrument correction. In that case I think the best approach is to obtain spectra of well studied stars and compare your results with published results. The details will depend on what type of spectrograph you are using and the type of result you are aiming for, flux calibrated or normalised for example.I think IRAF has some standard star data somewhere that could use.

Regards Andrew

1. How do you determine the quality of a stellar spectrum extraction?

The quality of a stellar spectrum extraction can be determined by examining several key parameters. These include the signal-to-noise ratio, the spectral resolution, the presence of telluric lines, and the overall shape and smoothness of the spectrum. A high signal-to-noise ratio, high spectral resolution, minimal telluric lines, and a smooth spectrum with no obvious artifacts or irregularities indicate a successful extraction.

2. What is the signal-to-noise ratio and why is it important for spectrum extraction?

The signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) is a measure of the strength of the signal compared to the level of background noise. In spectrum extraction, a higher SNR is desirable as it indicates a stronger and clearer signal from the target object. This allows for more accurate measurements and analyses of the spectrum.

3. How can you check for the presence of telluric lines in a spectrum?

Telluric lines are caused by absorption of light from the Earth's atmosphere and can be present in stellar spectra if not properly corrected for. To check for their presence, a comparison of the extracted spectrum to a telluric-free spectrum can be made. This can be done by observing a standard star with known telluric features or by utilizing telluric correction software.

4. What is the spectral resolution and why is it important for spectrum extraction?

The spectral resolution refers to the ability to distinguish between small changes in wavelength in a spectrum. A higher spectral resolution means that more fine details in the spectrum can be resolved. This is important for accurately identifying and analyzing spectral features, especially in complex spectra with multiple lines and features.

5. How can you ensure a smooth and artifact-free spectrum extraction?

To ensure a smooth and artifact-free spectrum extraction, it is important to properly calibrate and reduce the data before extraction. This includes correcting for instrumental effects, such as bias and dark frames, and removing cosmic ray hits. Additionally, careful selection of extraction parameters and visual inspection of the resulting spectrum can help identify and correct any remaining artifacts or irregularities.