Obtaining Transit Spectrum for Celestial Bodies Using JWST NIRSPEC

starryexplorer
TL;DR Summary
Seeking help with obtaining transit spectra for Ceres, Enceladus, Ganymede, Io, and Titan. Struggling with Github package usage. Any advice or alternative methods appreciated. Excited to compare with Earth's spectrum.
I've recently been tasked with obtaining transit spectrum data for some fascinating celestial bodies, including Ceres, Enceladus, Ganymede, Io, and Titan. The goal is to compare their transit spectra with that of Earth. However, I'm facing a bit of a challenge when it comes to using the Github package here: https://github.com/nespinoza/transitspectroscopy

To provide some context, I've received instructions to utilize the Github package to gather the transit spectrum data. However, I'm not very familiar with how to effectively use it for this purpose. Despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to navigate the package successfully to retrieve the transit spectrum data that I need.

If any of you have experience with the Github package or if you know of alternative methods to obtain transit spectrum data for these celestial bodies, I would greatly appreciate your guidance. Perhaps you can share some step-by-step instructions or valuable resources that could help me get started.

Moreover, if there are any other tools or platforms that you've found helpful for collecting transit spectrum data, I'd be open to exploring those options as well.

If it would help, here are the links to the files of the celestial objects that I'm supposed to compare their transit spectra against Earth's:
Io, Ceres, Titan, Enceladus, Ganymede1, Ganymede2

Astronomy news on Phys.org
starryexplorer said:
TL;DR Summary: Seeking help with obtaining transit spectra for Ceres, Enceladus, Ganymede, Io, and Titan. Struggling with Github package usage. Any advice or alternative methods appreciated. Excited to compare with Earth's spectrum.

I've recently been tasked with obtaining transit spectrum data for some fascinating celestial bodies, including Ceres, Enceladus, Ganymede, Io, and Titan. The goal is to compare their transit spectra with that of Earth. However, I'm facing a bit of a challenge when it comes to using the Github package here: https://github.com/nespinoza/transitspectroscopy

To provide some context, I've received instructions to utilize the Github package to gather the transit spectrum data. However, I'm not very familiar with how to effectively use it for this purpose. Despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to navigate the package successfully to retrieve the transit spectrum data that I need.

If any of you have experience with the Github package or if you know of alternative methods to obtain transit spectrum data for these celestial bodies, I would greatly appreciate your guidance. Perhaps you can share some step-by-step instructions or valuable resources that could help me get started.

Moreover, if there are any other tools or platforms that you've found helpful for collecting transit spectrum data, I'd be open to exploring those options as well.

If it would help, here are the links to the files of the celestial objects that I'm supposed to compare their transit spectra against Earth's:
Io, Ceres, Titan, Enceladus, Ganymede1, Ganymede2
A few of the guys have discussed this, I found this link

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...tices-for-merging-branches-in-my-repo.995025/

Also @Andy Resnick may have a pointer?

I don't, sorry.... good luck!

Likes pinball1970
@Devin-M has posted on Webb from what looked like a data site. Can you help?

1. How does the JWST NIRSPEC obtain transit spectrum for celestial bodies?

The JWST NIRSPEC (Near-Infrared Spectrograph) uses a technique called transit spectroscopy to obtain the spectrum of celestial bodies. This involves observing the light from a star as a planet passes in front of it, causing a dip in the star's brightness. The light passing through the planet's atmosphere is then analyzed to determine its composition and properties.

2. What is the purpose of obtaining transit spectrum for celestial bodies?

The transit spectrum obtained by JWST NIRSPEC can provide valuable information about the atmospheres of celestial bodies, such as exoplanets. This can help us understand the chemical composition and physical processes occurring in these atmospheres, and potentially identify signs of life.

3. How does the JWST NIRSPEC differ from other telescopes in obtaining transit spectrum?

The JWST NIRSPEC is specifically designed for obtaining transit spectra in the near-infrared range, which is ideal for studying the atmospheres of celestial bodies. It also has a larger mirror and more advanced technology compared to other telescopes, allowing for more precise and detailed observations.

4. What are the challenges of obtaining transit spectrum using JWST NIRSPEC?

One of the main challenges of obtaining transit spectrum using JWST NIRSPEC is the complex data analysis required. The spectra obtained are often very faint and can be affected by various factors such as instrument noise and starlight contamination. Therefore, specialized techniques and software are needed to accurately interpret the data.

5. How can obtaining transit spectrum using JWST NIRSPEC contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying the transit spectrum of celestial bodies using JWST NIRSPEC can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of planets and their atmospheres. It can also help us understand the diversity of exoplanets and potentially identify habitable worlds beyond our own solar system.

Back