How to compute the divergence of retarded scalar potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the time-dependent Maxwell's Equations and the difficulty in understanding the derivative of a given function. The equation is derived using the identity \nabla (g_1 \cdot g_2) = g_2 \cdot \nabla g_1 + g_1 \cdot \nabla g_2 and the confusion arises from taking the wrong value for [\rho]. The mistake is corrected and the conversation concludes with a request for further references or help in understanding the concept.
genxium
I'm learning time-dependent Maxwell's Equations and having difficulty understanding the following derivative:

Given [itex]f(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}', t) = \frac{[\rho(\textbf{r}, t)]}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|}[/itex]

where

[itex]\textbf{r} = x \cdot \textbf{i} + y \cdot \textbf{j} + z \cdot \textbf{k}[/itex], in Cartesian Coordinates

[itex]\textbf{r}' = x' \cdot \textbf{i} + y' \cdot \textbf{j} + z' \cdot \textbf{k}[/itex]

[itex][\rho(\textbf{r}, t)] \stackrel{\Delta}{=} \rho(\textbf{r}, t_r)[/itex] with [itex]t_r = t-\frac{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|}{c}[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] is a non-zero constant(speed of EM wave indeed)

The tutorial I'm reading "infers" that

[itex]\nabla f(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}', t) = \nabla \frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|} \cdot [\rho(\textbf{r}, t)] + \frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|} \cdot [\frac{\partial \rho(\textbf{r}, t)}{\partial t}] \cdot \nabla t_r[/itex] -- (a)

where [itex]\nabla \stackrel{\Delta}{=} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \cdot \textbf{i} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \cdot \textbf{j} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \cdot \textbf{k} [/itex]

I'm confused by the latter part of the equation above. By applying the identity [itex]\nabla (g_1 \cdot g_2) = g_2 \cdot \nabla g_1 + g_1 \cdot \nabla g_2[/itex] to [itex]f(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}', t)[/itex] I get

[itex]\nabla f(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}', t) = \nabla \frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|} \cdot [\rho(\textbf{r}, t)] + \frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|} \cdot \nabla [\rho(\textbf{r}, t)] [/itex] -- (b)

then if (a) is correct I'll have

[itex]\nabla [\rho(\textbf{r}, t)] = [\frac{\partial \rho(\textbf{r}, t)}{\partial t}] \cdot \nabla t_r[/itex] -- (c)

However, though trivial, [itex]\textbf{r}(x, y, z) = x \cdot \textbf{i} + y \cdot \textbf{j} + z \cdot \textbf{k}[/itex] is still a function of [itex]x, y \, \text{and} \, z[/itex], so in my calculation

[itex]\nabla [\rho(\textbf{r}, t)] = \frac{\partial \rho(\textbf{r}, t_r)}{\partial \textbf{r}} \cdot \nabla \textbf{r} + \frac{\partial \rho(\textbf{r}, t_r)}{\partial t_r} \cdot \nabla t_r = \frac{\partial \rho(\textbf{r}, t_r)}{\partial \textbf{r}} \cdot \nabla \textbf{r} + [\frac{\partial \rho(\textbf{r}, t)}{\partial t}] \cdot \nabla t_r[/itex] -- (d)

Obviously (d) contradicts (c) but unfortunately I can't figure out where I went wrong in my calculation.

Can someone help to point out my mistakes or guide me to some references? Any help is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I have solved my problem. The mistake I made was that I took [itex][\rho] = [\rho(\textbf{r}, t)][/itex] while it should be [itex][\rho] = [\rho(\textbf{r}', t)][/itex].

1. What is the definition of a retarded scalar potential?

A retarded scalar potential is a mathematical function that describes the scalar field at a point in space and time, taking into account the influence of all past events at that point. It is often used in electrostatics and magnetostatics to calculate the electric and magnetic fields.

2. How is the divergence of a retarded scalar potential computed?

The divergence of a retarded scalar potential can be computed using the formula: div(Φ) = ∇²Φ - 1/c² * ∂²Φ/∂t², where ∇² is the Laplacian operator and c is the speed of light. This equation takes into account the spatial and temporal variations of the scalar potential.

3. What is the significance of computing the divergence of a retarded scalar potential?

The divergence of a retarded scalar potential is important because it allows us to determine the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields generated by the potential. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of charged particles and electromagnetic phenomena.

4. Are there any practical applications of computing the divergence of a retarded scalar potential?

Yes, there are many practical applications of computing the divergence of a retarded scalar potential. For example, it is used in the design of electronic circuits, in the study of electromagnetic fields in space, and in the development of technologies such as wireless communication and radar systems.

5. Is there a simplified method for computing the divergence of a retarded scalar potential?

Yes, there is a simplified method called the retarded potential method, which uses the principle of causality to simplify the calculation of the divergence. This method assumes that the potential at a given point is only influenced by past events within a certain distance and time frame, making the computation less complex.