How to construct a graph with girth = twice the diameter + 1

In summary, the theorem states that in a graph containing a cycle, the girth is always less than or equal to two times the diameter plus one. This has been proven through various arguments and contradictions, and it is important to note that the diameter must be defined correctly for the theorem to hold.
Terrell

Homework Statement

I am trying to verify this theorem for myself.
Theorem: Every graph G containing a cycle satisfies g(G)≤2diam(G)+1

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

i have drawn graphs and i failed to verify the theorem. is it even possible, since increasing the girth directly increases the diameter of the graph...?

However the theorem has a proof.

Proof: Let C be a shortest cycle in G. If g(G)>= 2diam(G) + 2, then C has two vertices whose distance in C is at least diam(G)+1. In G, these vertices have a lesser distance; any shortest path P between them is therefore not a subgraph of C. Thus, P contains a C-path xPy. Together with the shorter of the two x-y paths in C, this path xPy forms a shorter cycle than C, a contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems kind of obvious.

Let the maximum eccentricity (diameter) be ## D## and the length of the shortest cycle be ## L##. Assume, for a contradiction, a finite graph ## G## is picked such that ##L>2D+1 ##. Then the graph ## G## contains two vertices with a distance of at least ##2D+1 ##, an immediate contradiction. Do you understand what the contradiction is?

nuuskur said:
This seems kind of obvious.

Let the maximal eccentricity (diameter) be ## D## and the length of the shortest cycle be ## L##. Assume, for a contradiction, a finite graph ## G## is picked such that ##L>2D+1 ##. Then the graph ## G## contains two vertices with a distance of at least ##2D+1 ##, an immediate contradiction. Do you understand what the contradiction is?
sorry for that, my book did not define diameter correctly which lead to my confusion.

What is the definition of girth and diameter in graph theory?

In graph theory, the girth of a graph is the length of the shortest cycle (or loop) in the graph. The diameter is the longest shortest path between any two vertices in the graph.

How do you calculate the girth and diameter of a graph?

To calculate the girth of a graph, you need to find the shortest cycle in the graph. This can be done by traversing the graph and keeping track of the minimum number of edges needed to form a cycle. To calculate the diameter, you need to find the shortest path between any two vertices in the graph. This can be done using algorithms such as Dijkstra's algorithm or Floyd-Warshall algorithm.

What does it mean for a graph to have a girth equal to twice its diameter plus 1?

If a graph has a girth equal to twice its diameter plus 1, it means that the shortest cycle in the graph is twice as long as the longest shortest path between any two vertices, plus one additional edge. In other words, the graph has a cycle that is at least twice as long as any path between two vertices.

How do you construct a graph with girth = twice the diameter + 1?

To construct a graph with girth equal to twice its diameter plus 1, you can start by creating a cycle of length twice the diameter. Then, add one additional edge connecting any two vertices on the cycle. This will create a graph with the desired girth and diameter.

What is the significance of constructing a graph with girth = twice the diameter + 1?

Constructing a graph with girth equal to twice its diameter plus 1 can have various applications in graph theory and network analysis. For example, it can be used to find efficient routing paths in communication networks or to study the properties of highly connected graphs. It also helps in understanding the relationship between the girth and diameter of a graph and how they affect its overall structure.