How to convert power to energy in a heat pump problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the coefficient of performance and heat gained from outdoors for a heat pump. The student makes some errors in their calculations, but ultimately realizes their mistake and comes to the correct answers. The conversation also mentions the difference between a heat pump and a Carnot engine in terms of efficiency.
Tangeton

Homework Statement

A heat pump fitted with a 120W electric motor supplies 600W of heat per second to a room from outdoors. Calculate: a) the coefficient of performance of the heat pump
b) the heat gained from outdoors.

Homework Equations

Coeff of performance for heat pump = Qin/ W = Qin/(Qin-Qout)
Qin = Qout + W

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
P = 600J/s
W = 120

P = Wt --> 600 = 120t --> t = 0.2s
Qout = Pt = 600 x 0.2 = 120J

Qin = 120 + 120 = 240

Qin/Qin - Qout = 240/240-120 = 2

The answer is 5.

(b)

The answer is 480W
Please help...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear T,

Unfortunately, the errors start already with the rendering of the problem statement: you can't "supply 600W of heat per second" :
either you supply 600 Watt or you supply 600 J/s. No wonder, because ##1W \equiv 1J/s##.

My guess: you misread or mistyped.

It gets a little worse when you write "P = Wt --> 600 = 120t --> t = 0.2s" . This is the wrong calculation, but on top of that it's executed wrong. You should be able to check the results from your calculator, e.g. 600 divided by approximately 100 should be approximately 6. (Or you know that 5 x 12 = 60 so 5 x 120 = 600).

And -- considering the above -- including the dimensions: 600 W / 120 W = 5 (without a dimension: it's a ratio).

Funny that this 5 looks a lot like the answer to (a). Any idea why ?

(b) is easy now, isn't it ?

BvU said:
Dear T,

Unfortunately, the errors start already with the rendering of the problem statement: you can't "supply 600W of heat per second" :
either you supply 600 Watt or you supply 600 J/s. No wonder, because ##1W \equiv 1J/s##.

My guess: you misread or mistyped.

It gets a little worse when you write "P = Wt --> 600 = 120t --> t = 0.2s" . This is the wrong calculation, but on top of that it's executed wrong. You should be able to check the results from your calculator, e.g. 600 divided by approximately 100 should be approximately 6. (Or you know that 5 x 12 = 60 so 5 x 120 = 600).

And -- considering the above -- including the dimensions: 600 W / 120 W = 5 (without a dimension: it's a ratio).

Funny that this 5 looks a lot like the answer to (a). Any idea why ?

(b) is easy now, isn't it ?
So 600 is the Qin, and work done 120?
I want to use the equation somehow but I just literally cannot understand what part of the equation those numbers are...

You know what, its funny because I mistakenly said its not 600W but 900W in my first tries, which is why I failed to get the right answer...

I take it this exercise was given to you in the context of a lecture or a chapter on heat pumps or so ?

For a heat pump, in ##CoP = {Q\over W}## Q is the heat delivered and W is the work consumed by the heat pump.

It's kind of the opposite of a Carnot engine, where Qin is picked up, Qout is given off and W is delivered.

Carnot efficiency can never be > 1 , but a CoP can.

its funny because I mistakenly said its not 600W but 900W in my first tries, which is why I failed to get the right answer...
Work a bit slower, check all and every dimensions; before using a calculator, estimate the outcome of calculations. Try not to work too fast.

1. How do you calculate the energy output of a heat pump?

To calculate the energy output of a heat pump, you need to first determine the power input, usually measured in watts. Then, you can use the formula: energy output = power input x time. This will give you the energy output in joules.

2. What is the efficiency of a heat pump?

The efficiency of a heat pump is the ratio of the energy output to the energy input. This can also be expressed as a percentage. The higher the efficiency, the more energy efficient the heat pump is at converting power to energy.

3. How does the coefficient of performance (COP) relate to power and energy in a heat pump?

The coefficient of performance (COP) is a measure of the efficiency of a heat pump. It is calculated by dividing the energy output by the power input. The higher the COP, the more efficient the heat pump is at converting power to energy.

4. Can power and energy be converted directly in a heat pump?

No, power and energy cannot be directly converted in a heat pump. Power is the rate at which energy is consumed or produced, while energy is the total amount of work that can be done. A heat pump converts power into energy, but it cannot directly convert energy into power.

5. How do you determine the energy savings of using a heat pump compared to other heating systems?

To determine the energy savings of using a heat pump compared to other heating systems, you need to calculate the efficiency of each system and compare them. The higher the efficiency, the more energy efficient the system is and the more energy savings you can expect. It is also important to consider the initial cost and maintenance expenses of each system.