Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How To Create An Arc Of A Circle As A Straight Line?

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    How do you construct the arc of the circle as a straight line by geometry not by an equation?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can't. An arc of a circle is not a straight line. The geometrical way to construct a circle is to use a compass, which is not the same as the compass that is used to determine magnetic north. The compass I'm referring to has two legs that are hinged. One leg has a sharp point, and the other has a pencil or pen.

The end with the point is fixed, and the other end is used to draw the circle.

4. May 21, 2013 #3
    Of course, you can : First, buy a compass with infinitely long legs. Then, go to the infinity. There put the sharp point and turn the compass : Very far from there, the straight arc is drawn. :devil:

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  5. May 21, 2013 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

mymachine might be asking how to construct a line [itex]2\pi r[/itex] units long given the circle with radius r.

I don't believe it can be done because of a similar argument for why you cannot square the unit circle - i.e. to find a square with side length [itex]\sqrt{\pi}[/itex] by geometric constructions.

6. May 21, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Where do you buy one of these?

7. May 21, 2013 #6
    You may ask Alice. She knows a good shop in Wonderland.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook