1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How To Create An Arc Of A Circle As A Straight Line?

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    How do you construct the arc of the circle as a straight line by geometry not by an equation?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can't. An arc of a circle is not a straight line. The geometrical way to construct a circle is to use a compass, which is not the same as the compass that is used to determine magnetic north. The compass I'm referring to has two legs that are hinged. One leg has a sharp point, and the other has a pencil or pen.

The end with the point is fixed, and the other end is used to draw the circle.

4. May 21, 2013 #3
    Of course, you can : First, buy a compass with infinitely long legs. Then, go to the infinity. There put the sharp point and turn the compass : Very far from there, the straight arc is drawn. :devil:

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  5. May 21, 2013 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

mymachine might be asking how to construct a line [itex]2\pi r[/itex] units long given the circle with radius r.

I don't believe it can be done because of a similar argument for why you cannot square the unit circle - i.e. to find a square with side length [itex]\sqrt{\pi}[/itex] by geometric constructions.

6. May 21, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Where do you buy one of these?

7. May 21, 2013 #6
    You may ask Alice. She knows a good shop in Wonderland.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook