How To Create An Arc Of A Circle As A Straight Line?

In summary, it is not possible to construct the arc of a circle as a straight line using geometry instead of an equation. The only way to construct a circle is by using a compass with two legs, one with a sharp point and the other with a pencil or pen, and drawing the circle with the fixed point and moving the other leg. It is not possible to create a straight line with a length of 2πr using this method. Some may suggest using a compass with infinitely long legs, but this is not a practical solution.
mymachine
How do you construct the arc of the circle as a straight line by geometry not by an equation?

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mymachine said:
How do you construct the arc of the circle as a straight line by geometry not by an equation?
You can't. An arc of a circle is not a straight line. The geometrical way to construct a circle is to use a compass, which is not the same as the compass that is used to determine magnetic north. The compass I'm referring to has two legs that are hinged. One leg has a sharp point, and the other has a pencil or pen.

The end with the point is fixed, and the other end is used to draw the circle.

Mark44 said:
You can't. An arc of a circle is not a straight line. The geometrical way to construct a circle is to use a compass, which is not the same as the compass that is used to determine magnetic north. The compass I'm referring to has two legs that are hinged. One leg has a sharp point, and the other has a pencil or pen.
The end with the point is fixed, and the other end is used to draw the circle.

Of course, you can : First, buy a compass with infinitely long legs. Then, go to the infinity. There put the sharp point and turn the compass : Very far from there, the straight arc is drawn. :devil:

Last edited:
mymachine might be asking how to construct a line [itex]2\pi r[/itex] units long given the circle with radius r.

I don't believe it can be done because of a similar argument for why you cannot square the unit circle - i.e. to find a square with side length [itex]\sqrt{\pi}[/itex] by geometric constructions.

JJacquelin said:
Of course, you can : First, buy a compass with infinitely long legs.
Where do you buy one of these?
JJacquelin said:
Then, go to the infinity. There put the sharp point and turn the compass : Very far from there, the straight arc is drawn. :devil:

Mark44 said:
Where do you buy one of these?
You may ask Alice. She knows a good shop in Wonderland.

1. How do I create an arc of a circle as a straight line?

To create an arc of a circle as a straight line, you will need to use a tool called a compass. First, draw a straight line segment that will serve as the base of the arc. Then, place one end of the compass on the midpoint of the line and adjust the other end to the desired radius of the arc. Finally, draw the arc by keeping the compass in place and rotating it around the midpoint of the line.

2. What is the purpose of creating an arc of a circle as a straight line?

The purpose of creating an arc of a circle as a straight line is to accurately represent a curved line in a geometric diagram or drawing. This technique is commonly used in technical drawings, such as architectural plans or engineering diagrams.

3. Can I create an arc of a circle as a straight line without a compass?

While a compass is the most accurate tool for creating an arc of a circle as a straight line, it is possible to do so without one. You can use any circular object, such as a bottle cap or a coin, to trace the arc. However, this method may not be as precise as using a compass.

4. Is it possible to create an arc of a circle as a straight line on a computer?

Yes, it is possible to create an arc of a circle as a straight line on a computer using a drawing or design software. Most programs have a tool that allows you to draw a precise arc by inputting the radius and angle measurements.

5. Can I create an arc of a circle as a straight line on any surface?

Yes, you can create an arc of a circle as a straight line on any flat surface, such as paper, wood, or a computer screen. However, it may be more difficult to do so on a non-flat surface due to the lack of stability and precision.