How to deal with published (and indexed) baloney?

• Thread starter mind
  • Start date
In summary, one could (and should, if they find the paper to be baloney) comment on the arxiv.org website.
mind
There is an entire volume of AIP Conferences full of baloney. The volume is indexed by several agencies, like NASA ASD, Scopus, etc.

How does one deal with it? I'm thinking of putting a comment on arxiv.org, but I'm willing to comment only on one paper, because I do not want to spend time checking in detail other papers.

I'm wondering why wouldn't AIP filter the garbage? I've read how APS meetings are open to anyone (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22171039), but the papers in this volume are so obviously wrong, that if one would want them to be correct, one should change the mathematics as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to be more specific and give a reference to the volume and why you think it is baloney?

Garth

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather not be specific on the volume, because I want the question to be general. If I recall correctly, a few years ago there was an almost self-published journal (editor published his own papers) by Elsevier that had a lot of baloney, and many people complained on receiving this journal with the bulk subscription. What I want to point at is not the publisher, but the already published and archived baloney.

I know that it is baloney (not a mistake in calculations), because papers earn many points in John Baez's crackpot index (http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html). Although this index is not so scientific, I can assure you that for some of the papers there to work, one needs to develop a new kind of mathematics, which might accept inconsistencies.

mind said:
Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather not be specific on the volume, because I want the question to be general. If I recall correctly, a few years ago there was an almost self-published journal (editor published his own papers) by Elsevier that had a lot of baloney, and many people complained on receiving this journal with the bulk subscription. What I want to point at is not the publisher, but the already published and archived baloney.

I know that it is baloney (not a mistake in calculations), because papers earn many points in John Baez's crackpot index (http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html). Although this index is not so scientific, I can assure you that for some of the papers there to work, one needs to develop a new kind of mathematics, which might accept inconsistencies.

Elsevier isn't "baloney." I've personally published in and refereed articles in Elsevier journals. For your information, Gallileo published his last book while under house arrest in Elsevier, he had to have it smuggled out of his house and transported to the Netherlands.

Edit: and the poor guy was blind at that point. He is quoted as saying that he had expanded the universe for ordinary mortals a 100-fold, and now he was confined to the extent of his bodily skin

Last edited:
The journal published by Elsevier I had in mind is Chaos, Solitons and Fractals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsevier#Chaos.2C_Solitons_.26_Fractals). I am not saying that Elsevier nor AIP are baloney publishers. I am saying that sometimes they publish baloney.
So, my question is: how does one act when one finds published and indexed baloney? By baloney I mean things that, for example, try to prove Theory of Relativity wrong, while those things have elementary mathematical mistakes. Based on what they write, I am not sure that authors of those papers are able for rational discussion.

1. What is "published and indexed baloney" in the scientific community?

"Published and indexed baloney" refers to research or studies that have been published in reputable scientific journals but contain flawed or misleading data, interpretations, or conclusions. These publications have gone through the peer-review process and have been indexed in databases, giving them an appearance of credibility.

2. How can I identify published and indexed baloney?

One way to identify published and indexed baloney is to critically evaluate the study's methodology, results, and conclusions. Look for any red flags, such as small sample size, biased data collection methods, or unsupported claims. Additionally, checking for conflicts of interest and the reputation of the journal can also help identify potentially misleading publications.

3. What are the consequences of published and indexed baloney?

Published and indexed baloney can have serious consequences, including misleading the scientific community and the public, wasting resources on flawed research, and potentially causing harm if the false information is used in decision-making processes. It can also damage the credibility of the scientific community as a whole.

4. How can I deal with published and indexed baloney?

The best way to deal with published and indexed baloney is to remain vigilant and critically evaluate all research before accepting it as fact. If you come across a publication that seems questionable, you can reach out to the authors or the journal to express your concerns. Additionally, replicating or conducting further research on the topic can help verify the validity of the study.

5. What can the scientific community do to prevent published and indexed baloney?

The scientific community can take several steps to prevent published and indexed baloney, including promoting open and transparent research practices, encouraging critical evaluation of all publications, and addressing any conflicts of interest. Journals can also play a role by implementing strict peer-review processes and retracting publications that are found to be flawed or misleading.