Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to define an 'infinite dimensional integral'

1. Jan 9, 2007 #1
    Hello, my question is how could we define integration on infinite dimensional spaces?, my idea is, let be the multiple integral.

[tex] \int_{V}dVf(X) [/tex] where [tex] X=(x_1 ,x_2 , x_3 ,.....,x_n ) [/tex]

then i define a family of trial functions, in my case they are just 'step functions' so [tex] H(X)=H(x_1) H(x_2 ) H(x_3 ).....H(x_n) [/tex] and define a some kind of axiomatic integral for htem (i don't know how unfortunately) then i try to apply integration by parts so integral hold to and make n -> infinite so we define an infinite dimensional integral.

By the way, is there an analogue to Euler-Mc Laurin sum formula for infinite dimensional spaces?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Jan 9, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unfortunately the second article is not free, unless you have a paid subscription to Elsevier.

5. Jan 9, 2007 #4
    But the infinite dimensional derivative (functional derivative) can be defined for a functional in 2 ways:

[tex] \frac{F[\phi +\epsilon \delta (x-y)]-F[\phi]}{\epsilon} [/tex] or

[tex] \frac{dF[\phi +\epsilon (x-y)]}{d\epsilon} [/tex]

for epsilon tending to 0, and it yields to Euler-Lagrange equation, the question is why can't we define the integral by means perhaps of the sum, with epsilon tending to 0 in the form?

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\epsilon F[\phi +n\epsilon \delta (x-y)] [/tex] or if we denote the functional derivative operator [tex] \delta [/tex] then its inverse is just the functional integral operator .
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?