How to derive the ficticious force due to a moving frame of reference?

In summary, a fictitious force is a force that appears to act on an object in a non-inertial frame of reference, caused by the acceleration of the frame and not by a physical origin. Its magnitude can be determined using the equation F=ma, and it is related to an inertial force in that it is perceived in a non-inertial frame. However, fictitious forces cannot be observed in the real world. The fictitious force due to a moving frame of reference can be derived using the laws of motion and the principle of relativity.
semc
Hi guys,
I was reading the derivation of ficticious force due to moving frame of reference however i don't understand how they did it.There wasn't detail explanation for slow learners like me so i was wondering does anyone know where i can read up on this or give me some clue where i can start reading. Thanks!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Deriving the fictitious force due to a moving frame of reference involves understanding the concept of inertia and the principle of relativity. In simple terms, inertia refers to the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, while the principle of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference.

To understand the derivation of the fictitious force, it is important to first define what a frame of reference is. A frame of reference is a set of axes or coordinate system used to describe the position, orientation, and motion of an object. In other words, it is a reference point from which we observe and measure the motion of an object.

Now, when an object is in motion in a certain frame of reference, it appears to experience forces that are not present in a stationary frame of reference. These forces are called fictitious forces and they arise due to the relative motion between the object and the frame of reference.

To derive the fictitious force, we can start by considering a stationary frame of reference and an object moving with a constant velocity in a straight line. In this frame, the object experiences no net force and thus, moves with a constant velocity.

Next, we can switch to a moving frame of reference, which is moving with a constant velocity relative to the stationary frame. In this frame, the object appears to be at rest, but it experiences a net force in the opposite direction of the frame's motion.

This apparent force is known as the fictitious force and it is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the frame's acceleration. This can be derived mathematically using the equations of motion and the principle of relativity.

There are various resources available online and in textbooks that provide detailed explanations and derivations of the fictitious force. I would suggest starting with basic concepts of inertia and the principle of relativity, and then moving on to more advanced explanations and derivations.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the derivation of the fictitious force due to a moving frame of reference. Keep exploring and learning!

What is a fictitious force?

A fictitious force is a force that appears to act on an object in a non-inertial frame of reference, even though it does not have a physical origin. It is caused by the acceleration of the frame of reference and is not a real force like gravity or electromagnetism.

How do you determine the magnitude of a fictitious force?

The magnitude of a fictitious force can be determined by using the equation F = ma, where F is the fictitious force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the frame of reference.

What is the relationship between a fictitious force and an inertial force?

A fictitious force is related to an inertial force in that it is a force that is perceived in a non-inertial frame of reference, while an inertial force is a real force that acts on an object in an inertial frame of reference.

Can fictitious forces be observed in the real world?

No, fictitious forces cannot be observed in the real world because they do not actually exist. They are only apparent in non-inertial frames of reference and are a result of the frame's acceleration.

How can the fictitious force due to a moving frame of reference be derived?

The fictitious force due to a moving frame of reference can be derived by using the laws of motion and considering the acceleration of the frame of reference. This can be done through vector analysis and using the principle of relativity.