Is force independent of reference frame?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of forces being independent of reference frames and the application of Newton's second law in both inertial and non-inertial frames. It is noted that while the second law is only valid for inertial frames, fictitious forces must be taken into consideration in non-inertial frames in order to accurately calculate net force. The types of forces that Newton's second law considers are all forces, but fictitious forces must be added in for non-inertial frames.
sandyforever

Homework Statement

Recently, I have been wondering whether forces are independent of reference frames(inertial and non inertial). From Newton's law we know that the second law is valid only for inertial frames. But what about the non inertial frames. Let ∑F be the net force on an object in an inertial reference frame k. Let 'm' be it's mass and 'a' be it's acceleration in the frame k.

Homework Equations

By Newton's second law in the frame k, ∑F = m×a

The Attempt at a Solution

Acceleration can have different meaning for different reference frames but certainly we can't conclude about the net force using the second law for both the inertial and non inertial reference frames as it's valid for only one of the cases. So do we then take into consideration the fictitious forces for the non inertial cases for the purpose of calculating the net force. How does it explains then? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of fictitious forces and non-inertial (accelerating) reference frames, there must be lots online (assuming you don't have a mechanics text that explains it). The way I look at it is:

If you are accelerating to the right at ##a_0##, and you want to explain things from your accelerating reference frame, where everything is accelerating to the left at ##-a_0##. You have to imagine a fictitious force, proportional to the mass, on everything. For a body of mass ##m## the force is ##F_f = -ma_0##.

If there is a real force ##F## on that body, then the net force (in your reference frame) is ##F_{net} = F + F_f = F - ma_0##.

And, if you observe an acceleration of ##a_{net}## then you know that the real force on the object is ##F = F_{net} + ma_0 = m(a_{net} + a_0)##

Thanks, but can you please tell me what are the types of forces that Newton's second law takes into consideration?

sandyforever said:
Thanks, but can you please tell me what are the types of forces that Newton's second law takes into consideration?

I'm not sure I understand. All forces. But, the second law doesn't apply in a non-inertial reference frame unless you add in the fictitious forces.

Related to Is force independent of reference frame?

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between objects or bodies. It can cause an object to accelerate or deform.

2. What is a reference frame?

A reference frame is a set of coordinates used to describe the position and movement of objects. It can be an inertial frame, where Newton's laws of motion apply, or a non-inertial frame, where they do not.

3. Is force always independent of reference frame?

No, force can be dependent on the reference frame in certain situations. For example, in a non-inertial frame, fictitious forces such as centrifugal force may appear to act on objects even though they are not actually present.

4. How can we determine if force is independent of reference frame?

We can determine if force is independent of reference frame by using Newton's laws of motion. If an object's acceleration is the same in different reference frames, then the force acting on it is independent of the reference frame.

5. Why is it important to understand the independence of force from reference frame?

Understanding the independence of force from reference frame is important in accurately describing and predicting the motion of objects. It allows us to apply the correct laws of motion in different reference frames and make precise calculations in fields such as mechanics and physics.