1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to describe motion of the wall of a liquid container?

1. Dec 29, 2014 #1
    Hi, I wonder I cannot solve the following simple problem. I really don't know what kind of equations are relevant.

Imagine a rectangular tank, with vertical walls containing some water. The surface area is big. The wall of the tank is movable without friction, and its mass is negligible. All sides of the tank are fixed except one, and we push that movable wall perpendicular with force F. How can we describe the motion of the wall?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are raising or lowering water level in your tank. You can attack it from equilibrium with a given force. You can also attack it dynamically with waves, viscous dissipation, and all the other complications of CFD.

4. Dec 29, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

First you need to create some unknown variables, e.g. density of liquid, width x (normal to the wall), height y of mass centre of fluid...
    Consider the wall advancing some distance -dx. What work does the force do? What is the increase in KE+PE of the liquid?

5. Dec 30, 2014 #4
    I think that energy and work is not useful in this case, since I would like to describe the motion in time. I have already tried. Maybe the horizontal momentum is more useful, however I do not know how to deal with the flow of the water, since the total negligence is not good, but the general solution is hopeless.

6. Dec 30, 2014 #5
    I would like to solve it dynamically (with some assumptions), but my liquid is not viscous!

7. Dec 30, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assume wall is moving slowly. No kinetice energy, no CFD. All that happens is that some liquid has to be moved up. Re-read Haru's advice and don't think energy considerations are for static situations only.

8. Dec 30, 2014 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree that energy does indeed solve the problem. Actually it's a bit easier than what I posted. You don't have to think about small intervals of movement - just go for the full movement from starting point to wherever.
    But I disagree about ignoring KE. There's no need for that, and it seriously distorts the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted