How to describe these results?

• Thread starter musicgold
  • Start date
In summary, the attached Excel file contains data from a simulated game where the chance of winning for a player decreases exponentially as the number of players increases. This can be described by stating that for each additional player, the chance of winning for a player decreases by a certain amount. Additional ways to describe the results include mentioning the overall trend and providing the equation of the trend line and its correlation coefficient.
musicgold
Hi,

Please see the attached Excel file. The table shows the results of a simulated game. Here the skill level of each player is the same. The chart shows how the chance of winning the game by a player declines exponentially as the number of players increase.

I have tried to fit a trend line to that curve. However, I am not sure how to describe the result in simple terms. I want to be able to say for every additional player, the chance of winning the game for a player goes down by X.

Also, is there a better way of describing the results?

Thanks.

Attachments

• simulation results.xls
    35.5 KB · Views: 192
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your results. Based on the data in the Excel file, it appears that as the number of players increases, the chance of winning the game for a player decreases exponentially. In simpler terms, this means that for each additional player, the chance of winning for a player decreases by a certain amount. This amount can be calculated by taking the difference between the chance of winning for two consecutive number of players (e.g. for 4 players and 5 players) and dividing it by the number of additional players (in this case, 1). This will give you the average decrease in chance of winning for each additional player.

Another way to describe the results could be by stating the overall trend, such as "The data shows a clear exponential decrease in the chance of winning for a player as the number of players increases." You could also mention the specific equation of the trend line and its correlation coefficient, if applicable, to further support your findings.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

What are the key components of a results description?

The key components of a results description typically include a clear and concise summary of the findings, relevant data and statistical analyses, and any significant trends or patterns observed.

How do I organize the results in a logical manner?

The results should be organized in a logical and sequential manner, typically following the same order as the research questions or hypotheses. This will help readers understand the flow of the study and how the results relate to the research objectives.

How should I incorporate visual aids, such as graphs or tables, into the results description?

Visual aids should be used to supplement and enhance the results description. They should be clearly labeled and referenced in the text, and their purpose and relevance to the results should be explained.

What should I do if the results are not significant?

If the results are not significant, it is important to still report them accurately and objectively. This may involve discussing potential limitations or alternative explanations for the findings. It is also important to avoid making exaggerated claims or drawing conclusions that are not supported by the data.

How do I strike a balance between providing enough detail and avoiding information overload?

A results description should provide enough detail to support the conclusions, but not overwhelm the reader with unnecessary information. It is important to be selective and only include the most relevant and important findings, while also providing enough context and explanation for the reader to understand the results.