Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to detect power input to a USB port for EEG project.

1. Jan 12, 2014 #1
    Hi, so I want to build an EEG and have it send data to my laptop (windows 8). But how would I go about writing a C#(or C++ but i'm more comfortable with C#) program to detect the input (the different frequencies). I was hoping to be able to treat it as a like a music input but I cant seem to find an sdk/api for that. Any help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2014 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

How exactly do you plan on capturing the input? What protocols are you going to use to send the data?

4. Jan 12, 2014 #3
    That's the thing. I've never interfaced with an external device before. I've only ever coded things like basic two-dimensional games, process managers, bots, things to do my math homework for me etc nothing even remotely within the sense of the word online. So no protocol so to speak. as far as the EEG I was just(roughly) going to connect EEG electrodes (ordered online) to an amplification system (using op-amps) with circuitry to isolate the ambient noise (hopefully) and convert the analog to digital. I admit this was just some random idea that came to me at 11:30 on a sun (time zones). But as I say any advice welcome. Is there nothing that can just pick up that noise and convert it to plottable values?

5. Jan 13, 2014 #4
    It might be easiest to use the microphone or line-in port. The sound hardware will already have an ADC. The only catch is that there is probably going to be a high-pass filter to suppress the 50/60 Hz noise, and the most interesting EEG frequencies are below 60 Hz AFAIK. You could get around that by modulating some higher frequency (say 1500 Hz) with the EEG signal.

6. Jan 13, 2014 #5
    I see why you have a thanks badge, so but how will it read from the audio jack?

7. Jan 13, 2014 #6
  8. Jan 13, 2014 #7
    Thank you so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook