1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine convergence and divergence

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    I've been having some trouble understanding how to determine if a sequence is divergent or convergent. For example

an = cos(2/n)

I know if I take the limit as n ->[itex]\infty[/itex] then I will get 1. So the sequence has a limit but does having a limit mean that the sequence is convergent.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi MHrtz! :smile:

Yes, saying that a sequence has a limit (which should not be infinity) is equivalent to saying that the sequence converges.
    If the limit doesn't exist (or is infinite), then the sequence diverges.

4. Jun 30, 2011 #3
    What about other sequences like

an {1 n = 2k k is an integer
    {0 otherwise

It's divergent only sometimes right?

5. Jun 30, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A sequence is either convergent or divergent. There's no such thing as divergent "only sometimes". This particular sequence is divergent since it doesn't come close to any number.

6. Jun 30, 2011 #5
    Ok, so i did some more problems and came across this one:

an = (1 + 2/n)n

When I took the limit I though it was 1 but the book said that the limit was e2. How is this possible?

7. Jun 30, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The problem is that you probably reason as follows:

(1+2/n) goes to 1, n goes to infinity, so (1+2/n)n goes to [itex]1^{+\infty}=1[/itex]. The problem is however that [itex]1^{+\infty}[/itex] is an undetermined form and does not equal 1!! Check your calculator, if you type in large values of n, then you'll see that (1+2/n)n does not go to 1!!

How to solve this problem then. Well, it depends on what you seen.
    Some students have [itex](1+1/n)^n\rightarrow e[/itex] as a seperate formula. Then you just need to transform (1+2/n)n into something of the form (1+1/m)m (hint: m=n/2)

If you haven't seen that seperate formula, then you can always do

[tex](1+2/n)^n=e^{n\log(1+2/n)}[/tex]

so you just need to show that

[tex]n\log(1+2/n)\rightarrow 2[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook