1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine direction of forces?

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    I am consistently getting this wrong. To me, in the picture below, it would make sense that the structure would be pulling downward, and the cable BD would be pulling upward - thus the system is in equilibrium.

AC3kld0.jpg

However, the solution to this problem show the force being applied downward onto the structure:

KgDAn1w.jpg

What is the trick?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

DB is not a force. It is measured in mm, so it must be the position vector of point B w.r.t. point D.

B = (480, 0, 600) mm
    D = (0, 510, 280) mm

DB = (480, -510, 320) mm

4. Sep 11, 2013 #3
    I was using the sense of the line to determine the position vector, as you mentioned. I know that DB is not a vector, but if you normalize DB and then multiply the resulting vector by the magnitude of the F along that cable then you effectively have deduced the components of the force.

My problem is that, knowing the force should be from B -> D, I took D-B and got the opposite of what you have shown: DB = (-480, 510, -320).

Given two points, the way you subtract (D-B or B-D) does not matter for the magnitude of the line, but to get an accurate sense of the line you cannot do this action arbitrarily - as I have seen.

I see now though, that the definition of the line is nothing more than determining the LOA of the associated force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook