How to determine internal energy without mass and pressure?

In summary, internal energy is expressed in terms of volume and entropy, but all the relations (as far as I know) are in terms of volume, entropy, mass and temperature or enthalpy. So how do you determine internal energy when pressure and mass are not given and everything else is a constant?How can you get the dimensions (or units) to match on both sides?To double the size of the system we would need to provide double the internal energy so U becomes 2U, then the volume would also double and since the volume increases the density decreases by 2 and so does the pressure, that means the entropy would also decrease by 2 so I have the equation 2U=(S/2)4/3(
JonNash

Homework Statement

The internal energy of a system is expressed by function U(S.V)=S4/3Vα, where α is a constant. The value of α is?

The Attempt at a Solution

Here internal energy is expressed in terms of volume and entropy but all the relations (as far as I know) are in terms of volume, entropy, mass and temperature or enthalpy. So how do you determine internal energy when pressure and mass are not given and everything else is a constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you get the dimensions (or units) to match on both sides?

[EDIT: Something else to think about. Is internal energy an extensive or intensive quantity?]

Last edited:
Given that internal energy is measured in Joules, LHS becomes J and RHS is (J/k)*m3
So to equate in terms of thermodynamic quantities we could multiply with T=1k and P=1N/m2 and divide it by enthalpy (H)=1J, but there is no relation such as this, is there?

I don't see how to get the dimensions to work out. But I believe you can answer the question by categorizing each variable U, S, V as extensive or intensive.

All of them are extensive. Still don't get how to work the problem out. Did you get the answer?
The options are
a) 1
b) 1/3
c) -1/3
d) 3/4

Suppose you doubled the size of the system. What would happen to each of the variables? The equation would still have to be satisfied.

You should get one of the options.

To double the size of the system we would need to provide double the internal energy so U becomes 2U, then the volume would also double and since the volume increases the density decreases by 2 and so does the pressure, that means the entropy would also decrease by 2 so I have the equation
2U=(S/2)4/3(2V)α. Solving that would get α = 1+4/3 that means α=7/3.
Ugh...What'd I miss?

[EDIT: with increase in volume the entropy also increases not decreases. And bearing that in mind when I recalculated I got α=-1/3. Hoping I didn't go wrong anywhere this time. Right?]

Last edited:
JonNash said:
when I recalculated I got α=-1/3. Hoping I didn't go wrong anywhere this time. Right?

Looks good

Likes 1 person

What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy contained in a system, including the kinetic and potential energy of particles within the system.

Why is it important to determine internal energy?

Determining internal energy allows for a better understanding of the behavior and properties of a system, and can be used to predict changes in the system.

Can internal energy be determined without mass and pressure?

Yes, internal energy can be determined using other thermodynamic properties such as temperature, volume, and entropy.

What equations can be used to determine internal energy?

The first law of thermodynamics and the ideal gas law can be used to calculate internal energy, as well as specific equations for different types of systems.

What factors can affect internal energy?

The temperature, pressure, volume, and number of particles in a system can all affect the internal energy. Changes in these factors can result in changes in internal energy.