Digital Logic 8 Bit Full Adder Circuit

In summary: Can you show what you are given, and then comment on what a 16-bit adder looks like when you search for it on Google Images?In summary, Essentials of Computer Architecture by Douglas Comer suggests that a half-adder can be created using an or gate and an and gate, while the textbook for the practice questions given to us suggests that an 8-bit full adder can be used instead. I do not think that 16 1 bit adders are the same as 1 16 bit adder, as they are two different types of circuits. Furthermore, I think that a 16-bit adder might
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
We are given two 8-bit full adders, we must create a circuit that will add 2 16-bit numbers.
Relevant Equations
-
I am unsure of how to approach this problem, we begin with two 8-bit full adders, is the goal to just combine them in some way so that it becomes one entire circuit while also adding NAND and NOR gates where necessary? By the end will we then have 16 1-bit full adders?

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you "given" them? As block diagrams, as gate-level circuits, as Verilog or VHDL code?

Can you show what you are given, and then comment on what a 16-bit adder looks like when you search for it on Google Images?

I read this as a circuit that has two 16 bit inputs and a single 16 bit output (plus a carry out bit, I guess?) that is the sum of the inputs. Your job is too design that circuit primarily using two 8 bit full adders plus simple logic if needed.

I don't think 16 1 bit adders are the same as 1 16 bit adder.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
How are you "given" them? As block diagrams, as gate-level circuits, as Verilog or VHDL code?

Can you show what you are given, and then comment on what a 16-bit adder looks like when you search for it on Google Images?
In the textbook that I'm reading Essentials of Computer Architecture by Douglas Comer a half-adder is shown with an or gate and an and gate, however for the practice questions we're given, we were now told one 8-bit full adder which can be drawn as a block is sufficient, not individual 1-bit adders which I just learned right now, so I may have a better understanding now by just learning this and have to somehow connect the two using NAND and NOR gates.

What is the difference between a full adder and a half adder? How do you think this could help combine 2 full adders together?
You do not need any extra gates

DaveE said:
I don't think 16 1 bit adders are the same as 1 16 bit adder.
Nor do I...

What is a digital logic 8 bit full adder circuit?

A digital logic 8 bit full adder circuit is an electronic circuit that is used to perform addition operations on two 8-bit binary numbers. It is a fundamental component of many digital systems, including computers and calculators.

How does a digital logic 8 bit full adder circuit work?

A digital logic 8 bit full adder circuit works by using logic gates, such as AND, OR, and XOR gates, to add each bit of the two input numbers and produce a sum bit and a carry bit. The carry bit is then passed on to the next stage of the circuit to add with the next pair of bits, and so on until all 8 bits have been added.

What are the inputs and outputs of a digital logic 8 bit full adder circuit?

The inputs of a digital logic 8 bit full adder circuit are two 8-bit binary numbers, and the outputs are a 9-bit sum and a carry bit. The carry bit is used to add with the next pair of bits in a multi-bit addition operation.

What are the applications of a digital logic 8 bit full adder circuit?

A digital logic 8 bit full adder circuit is used in many digital systems, including computers, calculators, and microcontrollers. It is also used in arithmetic logic units (ALUs) and other arithmetic circuits to perform addition operations.

Can a digital logic 8 bit full adder circuit be expanded to add larger numbers?

Yes, a digital logic 8 bit full adder circuit can be expanded to add larger numbers by connecting multiple full adders together in a cascading fashion. This allows for the addition of numbers with more than 8 bits, such as 16-bit, 32-bit, or even larger numbers.