1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Full adder circuit using NAND v NOT, AND, OR v PLA logic

1. May 23, 2013 #1
    I have designed a full adder circuit, first of all implementing NOT, AND, OR logic, then redesigned NAND logic and finally Programmable Logic Array.

I would like to talk evaluate my designs a little and need a bit of help.

When using NOT, AND, OR gates I used the following;

NOT x 3 = 1 chip
    AND x 11 = 3 chips
    OR x 5 = 2 chips

Total 6 chips required

Using NAND Logic, I think I originally used 40 NAND gates, but reduced it to 26, so 7 chips would be required.

PLA:

NOT x 3 = 1 chip
    AND x 7 = 2 chips
    OR x 2 = 1 chip

Total 4 chips required.

Obviously, PLA offers the best solution for this scenario regarding efficiency, cost, speed and reliability.

I was wondering if using just one type of chip, such as the NAND offers any benefits to using various types of chip(NOT, AND and OR). If not, am I right in thinking that in this situation, using NAND logic offers no benefits to this circuit over NOT, AND, OR logic.

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why is the PLA solution a multi-chip solution? You should be able to do it all in one PLA IC of some modest size. Which PLA did you target?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted