Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine the half lives of any isotope?

1. Dec 23, 2011 #1

MTd2

Gold Member

Hi People!

The half-lives of elements seem to follow some rules of thumbs, but the exact or even order of magnitude for most cases it seem quite random. So, is there any numerical method to figure that out?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. Half-lives of nuclides are determined experimentally. There is some general theory which can predict order of magnitude, but no specifics.

4. Dec 23, 2011 #3

MTd2

Gold Member

What is this general theory?

5. Dec 24, 2011 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Liquid drop model. It gives a rough idea of neutron to proton ratio needed for stability.

6. Dec 24, 2011 #5

MTd2

Gold Member

But that s way too rough! I was thinking in something that could predict instable Isotopes in a long sequence of stable elements like Sn113 and Sn121 as well their approximate half lives, like the order of magnitude.

7. Dec 24, 2011 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sorry if you think it's too rough, but it is what it is.

8. Dec 24, 2011 #7

MTd2

Gold Member

I see. So, thanks anyway. I ve been trying to find some tool, because I am not experience in numerical estimations for nuclei.

9. Dec 26, 2011 #8
    If you can come up with a better model... it would be a great way to get your name out there...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook