How to draw a phasor addition on AC circuit?

The composite phasor has real part 4+3cos27 and imaginary part 3sin27.In summary, the conversation discusses drawing a phasor and determining its peak voltage using two alternating currents with different magnitudes and phases. The resulting combined phasor can be calculated using the formula sqrt(4^2 + (3cos27)^2 + (3sin27)^2) = 6.81 volts. The phasor can also be drawn using its real and imaginary components.
maali5
How to draw a phasor ?

Homework Statement

Two alternating currents are applied out of phase with each other. One is 4 volts and the other is 3 volts 27° out of phase.

These can be written as (4, 0°) and (3, 27°)

Homework Equations

a)draw both phasors
b)draw the combined phasor between (0 degree and 360 degree)
c)label peak voltage and state its value

The Attempt at a Solution

a)A rough drawing on paint http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/plotb.jpg/

b) I know A= 6.8106 volts by using this formula

r=√a2+b2

r=3cos27 + 4i + i(3sin 27)

r=√(3cos27 + 9)2 + (3sin27)2

=6.81v

angle=0.2014

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The drawing look OK, but I don't think you've got the right components. The real parts of the phasors are 4 and 3cos27 respectively. The imaginary parts are 0 and 3sin27 respectively.

1. How do I draw a phasor addition on an AC circuit?

The first step in drawing a phasor addition on an AC circuit is to identify the different voltage sources, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, in the circuit. Then, draw each voltage source as a vector with its magnitude and phase angle. Make sure to label each vector with its corresponding voltage source.

2. What is the importance of drawing a phasor addition on an AC circuit?

Drawing a phasor addition on an AC circuit allows us to visualize the different voltage sources and their relationships in the circuit. This helps in analyzing the behavior of the circuit and calculating important parameters such as current, power, and impedance.

3. Can I use different scales for the magnitude and phase angle in the phasor diagram?

Yes, you can use different scales for the magnitude and phase angle in the phasor diagram as long as you maintain the correct relative sizes and angles between the vectors. It is important to label the scales clearly to avoid confusion.

4. How do I add two or more phasors in a phasor diagram?

To add two or more phasors in a phasor diagram, you can use the parallelogram method or the tip-to-tail method. In the parallelogram method, you draw the phasors as sides of a parallelogram and the diagonal represents the sum of the phasors. In the tip-to-tail method, you draw the phasors head-to-tail, and the sum is the vector from the tail of the first phasor to the head of the last phasor.

5. Are there any software or tools that can help me draw a phasor addition on an AC circuit?

Yes, there are many software and tools available that can help you draw a phasor addition on an AC circuit. Some popular options include MATLAB, PSpice, and LTSpice. These tools allow you to simulate and visualize phasor diagrams, making it easier to analyze and understand AC circuits.