Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to eat cheap/free?

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The last tuition bill just came in. It's going to be a tight month, and I need to stretch the food budget. A few ideas:

1) Make Wolram soup (i.e. make a big pot of soup and just keep adding to it as it gets low)
    2) Free samples at Whole Foods market
    3) Happy hour buffet at the bar down the street. Gotta get someone to buy me a beverage, though.
    4) Avocados from the neighbor's tree that's hanging over the fence. (Might have to fight the squirrels for them).
    5) Go to some meet and greet nights for campus clubs. They usually have snacks.

Any other ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2
    Get a boyfriend. Make him pay till it hurts, then dump him. :devil:

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin:
    You really should write an advice column, Cyrus.

5. Sep 2, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

You could get those $1 tacos that jimmysnyder was telling us about earlier...the side benefit is you'll never be constipated either. :uhh: Or, you could take tribdog's old advice and pay a little extra for the ones without spit in them. :yuck:

You could volunteer to serve on some committee at work that has lunch meetings. (Everytime I see someone with really good catering getting on the elevator, I ask what meeting they are heading to...just in case it's some committee I should want to join. :biggrin:)

How about chocolate covered ants? Or, um, you could lure in some squirrels. :uhh:

6. Sep 2, 2008 #5
    :rofl:

Thanks, I was thinking about starting thread on this subject. But, I want foods that are easier to make (simple) and take less time. I want reduce my daily consumption from 8$/day to 4-6 $/day.

7. Sep 2, 2008 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That raccoon has been asking for it, too.

8. Sep 2, 2008 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe I could agree to be friends with some Freshman if they take me to lunch.

9. Sep 2, 2008 #8
    I was in line for lunch today. There was a guy buying taco bell. They have this new taco called 'the volcano' and he read it out loud and said, 'what does that mean, it shoots out of you after you eat it?' :rofl:

He read my mind at the same time I saw the poster. If you need to stay regular, I recommend taco bell....:yuck:

10. Sep 2, 2008 #9
  11. Sep 2, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I was in college and very poor, I would rely on ramen when I had to. But a better option was to find other struggling students and organize potlucks. Whatever food wasn't eaten at the end of the evening was split up for everyone to take home.

Of course you can't do it every night, but it makes for a pleasant weekend evening.

Just make sure your friends can cook - one guy showed up to one of my potlucks with a bag of Doritos. He wasn't invited back!

12. Sep 2, 2008 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

ramen noodle soup 10 cents a meal, I only need two a day.

Lentils dry, 50 cents a pound, will make enough to feed you for 4 days. You just need salt, water, and hopefully some garlic powder.

13. Sep 2, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But if you can part with $3 for a good meaty ham hock -- heaven!

14. Sep 2, 2008 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What?! That's impossible!

I eat atleast on average $12 a day.

I started making sacrifices. I took my car off the road, so I save on insurance and gas and maintenance. But then, I quit my job. Um... I only drink water and wine, and occasionally milk. I guess taking my car off the road is the only sacrifice I made thus far. There is a organization at school that's $20 for the year and it includes eating out at Boston Pizza 6-8 times for free (I worked for it last year).

I scored some free lunches at school last year and cheap ones too. After eating out everyday at school, the cafetaria ladies got to know me and wouldn't charge me for my drink or give me a sweet deal on a sub (pay for soda only) and that. Very nice.

Or one time I thought the school accepted VISA and I went to pay, and they didn't. The guy behind me paid for my meal, which was an extremely nice thing to do. Obviously I appreciated it and thanked him... but then again according to the other thread (about freshman) I should have stood there and stared at him. Or he should have stood there and stared at me since I was a freshman. :rolleyes:

15. Sep 2, 2008 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ewwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried started eating Ramen noodles to save money in Quebec City, but gave up the first time I tried the stuff. I really tried. I managed to eat half of it, but just couldn't finish it

16. Sep 2, 2008 #15

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

They taste better if you boil them.

17. Sep 2, 2008 #16

~christina~

Gold Member

All I do is I cook a pot of chicken soup and boil that for 1 day and then...eat that with rice for the whole week. I'm not kidding...it's really good. (I also cook some vegies to eat on the side and also buy some fruit) I also have to mention that I buy, "broken rice." It's actually Jasmine rice that is broken...I'm not sure but it could be leftover from the processing of the whole Jasmine rice. Anyhow, it's WAY better than any long grain rice I have EVER had. I ate it once and never went back. I buy a small bag for about $4.

Ramen noodles aren't healthy (high sodium)

18. Sep 2, 2008 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Umm... thanks for pointing out the obvious.

19. Sep 2, 2008 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Am I ever getting ripped off! Ramen noodles are about 45 cents a package out here.

20. Sep 2, 2008 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone needs to fire the Taco Bell marketing department. What were they thinking?

21. Sep 2, 2008 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I might try that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?