How to evaluate a surface integral involving a paraboloid and a cylinder?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
bodensee9
Messages
166
Reaction score
0
I am wondering if someone could help me evaluate the following:
I am asked to find the surface integral ∫∫ydS where S is part of the paraboloid y = x^2+z^2 that lies inside the cylinder x^2+z^2 = 4.
The double integral could be rewritten as ∫∫y*√(4(x^2+z^2)+1)dS, or ∫∫(x^2+z^2)*√(4(x^2+z^2))dxdz. But this seems very difficult to integrate, so if I convert to polar coordinates, I should have ∫∫r^2*√(4r^2+1)rdrdθ, where r is between 0 and 2 and θ is between 0 and 2π. But I’m not really sure how to integrate r^3*√(4r^2+1)? Or did I set this up incorrectly? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bodensee9 said:
I am wondering if someone could help me evaluate the following:
I am asked to find the surface integral ∫∫ydS where S is part of the paraboloid y = x^2+z^2 that lies inside the cylinder x^2+z^2 = 4.
The double integral could be rewritten as ∫∫y*√(4(x^2+z^2)+1)dS, or ∫∫(x^2+z^2)*√(4(x^2+z^2))dxdz. But this seems very difficult to integrate, so if I convert to polar coordinates, I should have ∫∫r^2*√(4r^2+1)rdrdθ, where r is between 0 and 2 and θ is between 0 and 2π. But I’m not really sure how to integrate r^3*√(4r^2+1)? Or did I set this up incorrectly? Thanks.
Write [itex]r^3\sqrt{4r^2+ 1}dr[/itex] as [itex]r^2\sqrt{4r^2+ 1}(rdr)[/itex] and let [itex]u= 4r^2+1[/itex].