How to evaluate a surface integral with three points?

In summary, you are integrating over the surface S which includes the triangle (0,0,0), (1,1,0) and (2,2,1).
Tom31415926535

Homework Statement

Let G=x^2i+xyj+zk And let S be the surface with points connecting (0,0,0) , (1,1,0) and (2,2,2)

Find ∬GdS. (over S)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I parametrised the surface and found 0=2x-2y. I’m not sure if this is correct. And I’m also uncertain about how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom31415926535 said:

Homework Statement

Let G=x^2i+xyj+zk And let S be the surface with points connecting (0,0,0) , (1,1,0) and (2,2,2)

Find ∬GdS. (over S)

Homework Equations

I parametrised the surface and found 0=2x-2y. I’m not sure if this is correct. And I’m also uncertain about how to proceed.

Check to see if the three given points satisfy your proposed surface equation.

Okay thanks. So I can conclude that that is the correct surface equation.

Therefore:

r(y,z)= (y,y,z)

G(r(x,z))=(y^2, y^2, z)

Then the integral will be:

∫∫(y^2, y^2, z)(1+2y+1)dydz

Is my reasoning correct? If yes, how do I determine the terminals?

If no, what am I doing incorrectly?

Tom31415926535 said:

Homework Statement

Let G=x^2i+xyj+zkAnd let S be the surface with points connecting (0,0,0) , (1,1,0) and (2,2,2)

Find ∬GdS. (over S)
OK, so you are using i,j,k notation for vectors and G is a vector. What do you mean by "the" surface connecting these points. There are infinitely many such surfaces. And when you write ##\iint GdS## what does that mean if G is a vector? Is dS a vector? Is there a missing dot product there?

Homework Equations

Were you given the surface is a plane? If so, why not tell us? So you are using ##y=x##.

Tom31415926535 said:

Therefore:

r(y,z)= (y,y,z)

Is that a vector? What happened to the ijk notation for your vectors?

G(r(x,z))=(y^2, y^2, z)

In that integral you apparently have a vector multiplied by a scalar so you are expecting a vector answer? And where did the 1+2y+1 come from. It is all very confusing. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the problem.

Last edited:
Tom31415926535 said:

Therefore:

r(y,z)= (y,y,z)

G(r(x,z))=(y^2, y^2, z)

Are you integrating over the triangle with vertices (0,0,0), (1,1,0) and (2,2,1)? Your problem statement did not say that explicitly, but my default assumption is that you want that triangle.

1. What is a surface integral with three points?

A surface integral with three points is a mathematical calculation used to find the total value of a function over a three-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function over the surface using three points as the boundaries.

2. How do I set up a surface integral with three points?

To set up a surface integral with three points, you will need to first determine the boundaries of the surface, which will be defined by the three points. Then, you will need to choose a parametrization for the surface and set up the integral using the appropriate formula.

3. What is the difference between a surface integral with three points and a regular integral?

A surface integral with three points is a special type of integral that is used to calculate the value of a function over a three-dimensional surface, while a regular integral is used to calculate the area under a curve or the volume of a solid. Surface integrals with three points are more complex and require specific techniques to solve.

4. What are some real-life applications of surface integrals with three points?

Surface integrals with three points have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to calculate fluid flow, electric or magnetic fields, and heat flow over a three-dimensional surface. They are also used in computer graphics to calculate lighting and shading on curved surfaces.

5. How can I simplify a surface integral with three points?

There are several techniques that can be used to simplify a surface integral with three points, such as using symmetry or choosing a more efficient parametrization. It may also be helpful to break up the surface into smaller, simpler parts and then add the integrals together. Practice and familiarity with different types of surfaces and their corresponding formulas can also make the process easier.