1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How To Evaluate Complex Numbers

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    Hi PFs

i want to know how to evaluate the complex number, and what are the meaning of the evaluating a complex number

Let Z be the complex number, Z = (3-4i)^5 what i have to do, just give me hint

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

sylas

Science Advisor

Put the complex number into its polar representation: r.e.

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    its polar representation is Z = r[Cos(thita) + iSin(thita)]
    is it is Evaluation
    i want to know what actually i have to do in evaluation
    Thanks for your help :)

5. Dec 2, 2009 #4

sylas

Science Advisor

You need to go in the reverse direction, using x and y as your variables, not r and θ. Can you complete the following with substitutions for r and θ in terms of x and y?

[tex]r^{i\theta} = x + iy[/tex]​

Alternatively, can you rewrite 3-4i into polar form, to, say, four decimal places?

Cheers -- sylas

6. Dec 2, 2009 #5
    i was thinking that evaluation is like polar form i don't know how to resolve this, i know nothing about
    [tex] r^{i\theta} = x + iy [/tex]
    please tell me what i have to do,

7. Dec 2, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To find powers you need "DeMoivre's formula":
    [tex](r[cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)])^n= r^n (cos(n\theta)+ i sin(n\theta))[/tex].

If DeMoivre's formula is not in your text, did you consider just sitting down and multiplying 3- 4i by itself 5 times? That would probably have been faster.

8. Dec 2, 2009 #7
    oOps this is like that yes Demorvies theorem is in mine book, i have to apply this, and is n will the power like 0,1,2....n

9. Dec 2, 2009 #8

sylas

Science Advisor

I fool so feelish....

HallsofIvy is quite right; simply multiplying it is probably the easiest thing to do when you have an integer exponent.

For example:
    [tex](3-4i)(3-4i) = 9 - 24i + 16i^2 = 9 - 16 - 24i = -7 -24i[/tex]​
    Keep going from there. Multiply by (3-4i), and again, and once more. You don't need the polar form.

However, since I mentioned it, I'd better go ahead with the answer:
    [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2} \times e^{\text{atan2}(y, x) i} = x + iy[/tex]​
    You don't need to worry about this if you take HallsofIvy's hint about repeated multiplications.

Cheers -- sylas

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook