How to Evaluate \exp (i f(A)) in Ket-Bra Form for a Hermitian Operator?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jdstokes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sakurai
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
jdstokes
Messages
520
Reaction score
1
Evaluate [itex]\exp (i f(A))[/itex] in ket-bra form, where A is a Hermitian operator whose eigenvalues are known.

[itex]\exp (i f(A)) = \exp(i f(\sum_i a_i \langle a_i |))[/itex]. I'm a little bit stuck on where to go from here. Is f supposed to be a matrix values function of a matrix variable or what?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jdstokes said:
Evaluate [itex]\exp (i f(A))[/itex] in ket-bra form, where A is a Hermitian operator whose eigenvalues are known.

[itex]\exp (i f(A)) = \exp(i f(\sum_i a_i \langle a_i |))[/itex]. I'm a little bit stuck on where to go from here. Is f supposed to be a matrix values function of a matrix variable or what?

Assume [itex]f:\mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] can be expressed using a power series expansion:

[tex]f \left( x \right) = \sum_j c_j x^j.[/tex]

In a standard abuse (should use a different symbol, maybe [itex]\hat{f}[/itex]) of notation, define

[tex]f \left( A \right) = \sum_j c_j A^j.[/tex]

Now use

[tex]A = \sum_i a_i \left| a_i \right> \left< a_i \right|[/tex]

with [itex]\left\{ \left| a_i \right> \right\}[/itex] chosen to be orthonormal.
 
Interesting. I've seen this done for exp, but never thought about generalizing to arbitrary [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \to\mathbb{R}[/itex]. I wish physicists would be more careful with their notation sometimes. Thanks.
 
jdstokes said:
Interesting. I've seen this done for exp, but never thought about generalizing to arbitrary [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \to\mathbb{R}[/itex]. I wish physicists would be more careful with their notation sometimes. Thanks.

Sometimes it might be [itex]f: \mathbb{C} \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/itex]. I think [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] is okay here, since the eigenvalues of [itex]A[/itex] are real.