How to extract information from question given that u=0

In summary, the problem involves an electron and a proton falling through a distance of 1.5 cm in a uniform electric field of magnitude 2.0 x 10^-4 N C^-1. The direction of the field is reversed, with the magnitude remaining the same. The time of fall for each particle is calculated using the formula t=√2s/a, where s is the distance and a is the acceleration. Since no information is given about the initial velocity, it can be assumed to be zero.
gracy

Homework Statement

An electron falls through a distance of 1.5 cm in a uniform electric field of magnitude 2.0 x https://www.physicsforums.com/callto:104 N C-1. The direction of the field is reversed keeping its magnitude unchanged and a proton falls through the same distance . Compute the time of fall in each case

Homework Equations

s=ut +1/2 at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

In my book the following formula is used
t=√2s/a
here s is distance and a is acceleration
it is used when u is zero
u here means initial velocity
so my query is why should we take initial velocity to be zero as nothing such is mentioned in the question

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is a standard assumption when you are given no information that the electron was already moving.
If I said, a ball falls 1.5cm under uniform gravity, how long does the ball fall for? You might intuitively assume that the initial downward velocity of the ball is 0.

Likes gracy
RUber said:
initial downward velocity of the ball is 0.
And what about velocity in other directions?

gracy said:
why should we take initial velocity to be zero as nothing such is mentioned in the question
I think answer is hidden in my question only!as nothing such is mentioned in the question, we should assume that.

Likes RUber

1. How do I extract information from a question when the unknown variable is 0 (u=0)?

To extract information from a question when the unknown variable is 0, you will need to carefully analyze the question and identify any relevant equations or relationships. You may also need to use your knowledge of algebra to manipulate the equation to solve for the desired variable.

2. What are some strategies for solving questions with a zero variable?

Some strategies for solving questions with a zero variable include using substitution, elimination, or the addition or subtraction property of equality. It may also be helpful to plug in values for the other variables to see if a pattern emerges.

3. Can I solve a question with a zero variable using only my calculator?

It is possible to solve a question with a zero variable using a calculator, but it may not always be the most efficient method. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and equations involved in order to accurately interpret the calculator's output.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when extracting information from a question with a zero variable?

One common mistake to avoid is assuming that the zero variable is irrelevant or has no impact on the overall solution. It is also important to carefully check your calculations and ensure that you have correctly manipulated the equation to solve for the desired variable.

5. How can I check my work when extracting information from a question with a zero variable?

A good way to check your work is to plug your solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also try solving the question using a different method to see if you get the same result.