How to Factor Polynomial Equations

• Thread starter The Matador
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties and struggles the individual has with factoring, particularly in more complex problems. They seek help and ask for any rules or guidelines that may make factoring easier. The conversation also includes an explanation of how to factor certain types of polynomials, such as grouping and using the remainder theorem. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of understanding basic concepts in order to succeed in more advanced factoring problems.
The Matador
I don't know why but I have a lot of trouble factoring. After 3 years of it I would expect to be a lot better at it but I still find it as hard as when I first learned it. I am just wondering if anyone here can help me understand it a little different then my teachers have.

To date I think I finally understand stuff like
[tex]2x^2-2x-12[/tex]
[tex]x^3-5x^2-6x[/tex]
[tex]5x^3-45x[/tex]

The stuff I am having trouble with is things like this
[tex]x^3+x^2-4x-4[/tex]
[tex]x^8-1[/tex]
[tex]2m(m-n) + (m+n)(m-n)[/tex]

Is there any certain rules or guidelines I may be able to follow to make these kind of questions easier. Right now I am not really sure how to start them.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one if you can't factor it, then guess a factor and divide the polynomial by that factor to get a quadratic.

The second one seems pretty straightfoward... what have you tried?

In the third one, what is the common factor in both terms?

The first one I understand now, I get (x+1)(x+2)(x-2)

The second one I am still not really sure

Here is the third one I think
(m-n)[2m + (m+n)]
(3m+n)(m-n)

The Matador said:
I don't know why but I have a lot of trouble factoring. After 3 years of it I would expect to be a lot better at it but I still find it as hard as when I first learned it. I am just wondering if anyone here can help me understand it a little different then my teachers have.

To date I think I finally understand stuff like
[tex]2x^2-2x-12[/tex]
[tex]x^3-5x^2-6x[/tex]
[tex]5x^3-45x[/tex]

The stuff I am having trouble with is things like this
[tex]x^3+x^2-4x-4[/tex]
[tex]x^8-1[/tex]
[tex]2m(m-n) + (m+n)(m-n)[/tex]

Is there any certain rules or guidelines I may be able to follow to make these kind of questions easier. Right now I am not really sure how to start them.
I HATE factoring. I am great at all math I have ever tried(literally) and got a D on a factoring test. any thing beyond the complexity of x2 +ax +b i fail at. once x2 has a coefficient I fail miserably

In order to understand the 3rd line better, Ill explain another way to factor the 1st line. You can group x^3 with x^2 and -4x with -4. Then you can factor each piece and youre left with:
x^2(x+1) -4(x+1)
This form is very similar to that third line. Next, you treat x^2 and -4 as coeffieients and factor out an (x+1) from both terms:
(x+1)(x^2 - 4) This can then be reduced to what you got, and the third line also looks good

But youre having the most trouble with the second line, x^8 - 1. Both terms are perfect squares. Whats the square root of x^8? Are you done after that, or can it be factored further?

For problems where you know there is an easy answer (otherwise you wouldn't have been asked the question!) this often helps:

If you want to factor [itex]ax^n \pm \dots \pm b[/itex] then for a factor of the form [itex]px \pm q[/itex] it is a good bet that p is a factor of a, and q is a factor of b.

Also, use the remainder theorem: if (x-a) is a factor, the polynomial is zero when x = a. So in the [itex]x^3+x^2-4x-4[/itex] example it's fairly obvious the polynomial is zero when x = -1 therefore (x+1) is a factor.

1. What is factoring in math?

Factoring in math is the process of breaking down an algebraic equation into simpler terms. This is done by finding the common factors of the terms in the equation and rewriting it in a simplified form.

2. Why is factoring important?

Factoring is important because it helps us solve equations and understand the relationship between different variables. It also allows us to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to work with.

3. What are the different methods of factoring?

There are several methods of factoring, including finding the greatest common factor, the difference of squares, the sum and difference of cubes, and using the quadratic formula. Each method is useful for factoring different types of equations.

4. How do I know when to use each method of factoring?

The method of factoring to use depends on the type of equation you are trying to solve. For example, if the equation contains two perfect squares, you can use the difference of squares method. If the equation contains three terms and one is a perfect cube, you can use the sum or difference of cubes method.

5. Can all equations be factored?

No, not all equations can be factored. Some equations, such as prime numbers, cannot be broken down into simpler terms. However, most polynomial equations can be factored using one of the methods mentioned above.