How to find a difference polynomial?

In summary, the given sequence can be represented by a polynomial function, f(n), where f(n+1)-f(n) = n^2. By looking at the differences between consecutive terms, it can be observed that the polynomial has a degree of 3, making it a cubic polynomial.
datenshinoai

Homework Statement

Let {a_n} be the sequence 3, 4, 8, 17,..., where a_0 = 3 and a_n+1 = a_n + (n+1)^2, n greater than or equal to 0. Find a polynomial such that a_n = f(n)

Homework Equations

f(n) = summation from r=0 to infinity of C(n,r) delta^r a_0

The Attempt at a Solution

I just have no idea how to start it. I have: f(n) = 3C(n, 0) + 4C(n, 1) + 8C(n,2) + something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the differences
4-3=1
8-4=4
17-8=9

1,4,9,... is just the sequence for n2

So f(n+1)-f(n) = n2. If the difference has degree k, the actual polynomial has degree k+1 (something you should try proving) so find a cubic polynomial with this characteristic

1. How do I determine the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the polynomial. For example, in the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2 because 2 is the highest exponent of x.

2. What is the difference between a monomial and a polynomial?

A monomial is a single term with a coefficient and a variable raised to a power, while a polynomial is a sum of multiple monomials. For example, 3x^2 is a monomial, while 3x^2 + 5x + 2 is a polynomial.

3. How do I find the roots of a polynomial?

The roots of a polynomial are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to 0. To find the roots, you can use techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or graphing the polynomial.

4. Can a polynomial have more than one variable?

Yes, a polynomial can have multiple variables. In this case, the degree of the polynomial would be the sum of the exponents of all the variables in each term. For example, the polynomial 3x^2 + 5xy + 2y^2 has a degree of 3.

5. How can I determine if a polynomial is a difference polynomial?

A difference polynomial is a polynomial that can be written as the difference between two other polynomials. To determine if a polynomial is a difference polynomial, you can try to factor it or see if it can be rewritten as the difference of two polynomials. If it can, then it is a difference polynomial.